Indonesians from Wuhan arrive in Batam


  • ASEAN+
  • Monday, 03 Feb 2020

In this photo released by Indonesian Foreign Ministry, Indonesian people who arrived from Wuhan, China, are sprayed antiseptic at Hang Nadim Airport in Batam, Indonesia Sunday, Feb. 2,2020. Indonesians evacuated from Wuhan, the Chinese city at the center of a deadly virus outbreak, were transported to a quarantine zone on a remote island at the edge of the South China Sea, shortly after landed on Batam, an island near Singapore on Sunday morning. (Indonesian Foreign Ministry via AP)

JAKARTA: Indonesians evacuated from Wuhan and other cities in China arrived at Hang Nadim Airport in Batam, Riau Islands, and were immediately directed to passenger planes operated by the Indonesian Air Force to be airlifted to Natuna Island for quarantine.

Presidential spokesperson Fadjroel Rachman said the 245 Indonesians previously trapped in the locked-down city of Wuhan and other cities in Hubei province were in good health.

“All have been declared healthy according to World Health Organisation standards, ” Fadjroel said in a statement yesterday.

The evacuees got off the Batik Air Airbus A-330 airplane at 9.23am local time after landing at around 8.45am. They disembarked one by one, with long intervals.

Officers wearing hazmat suits checked on the passengers and escorted them out, the Antara news agency reported.

The passengers underwent medical check-ups inside the Batik Air aircraft before boarding the planes that brought them to Natuna Island.

Batam Class I Port Health Office head Achmad Farchanny previously said several health measures would be taken on the way such as temperature checks.

The Indonesian Military has three planes to be used to carry the returnees to Natuna, namely a Hercules A-1315, a Boeing AI 7304 and a Boeing A 7306.

Meanwhile, Indonesia will temporarily stop flights to and from mainland China starting from Wednesday and bar visitors who have been in China for 14 days from entering or transiting in the South-East Asian country, Foreign Minister Retno Marsudi said yesterday.

The government will stop a policy to give free visa to Chinese nationals and also stop issuing visas on arrival for those who live in mainland China, she said, asking Indonesians not to travel to China amid the coronavirus epidemic. — The Jakarta Post/ANN

Article type: free
User access status:
   

Across The Star Online