‘Probe, but don’t humiliate’


Special guest: Ahmad Zahid (second from right) mingling with delegates after the launch of the Ministers and CEO summit at the World Trade Centre in Kuala Lumpur. — RAJA FAISAL HISHAN/The Star

Zahid: Investigate Felda, don’t use it to launch personal attacks

KUALA LUMPUR: A thorough investigation into the management of the Federal Land Development Authority (Felda), including billions of ringgit in losses, is necessary but must not be used to deliberately humiliate anyone, says Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi.

He said a forensic audit should be conducted alongside any management audit to determine whether there had been abuses of power, governance failures or breaches of proper procedures.

“Those responsible should, of course, be brought to justice if there is strong evidence against them. However, we must not engage in persecution, injustice, or deliberately seek to humiliate any individual, as has happened before,” he said.

Ahmad Zahid was speaking to reporters after launching the Ministers and CEOs Summit 2026, held on the sidelines of the World Islamic Tourism & Trade Expo (Witex 2026) at the World Trade Centre here yesterday.

Asked whether a Royal Commission of Inquiry into Felda would be called, Ahmad Zahid said the agency had faced significant management issues for a long time.

“A loss of RM9bil cannot be tolerated. In my view, the responsibility should be taken by the Prime Minister to conduct an investigation, even though the former Felda chairman has already served his sentence.

“However, if there was any abuse of power or failure in governance and proper procedures were not followed, in my view, a detailed investigation must be conducted,” he said.

“More importantly, it should not be limited to management auditing; a forensic audit must also be carried out.

“This is because the 225,000 Felda settlers and Felda generations – from the first to the fifth generation – now number no fewer than 1.8 million people who are directly or indirectly involved.

“We must look after them so that the interests and welfare of the Felda community can continue to be protected by the government,” he said.

Ahmad Zahid was referring to the 2017 governance crisis involving FGV Holdings Bhd, formerly known as Felda Global Ventures, which saw its former chairman Tan Sri Isa Samad and former chief executive officer Datuk Mohd Emir Mavani Abdullah brought to court, while several executives, including former CEO Zakaria Arshad and former chief financial officer Ahmad Tifli Mohd Talha, were suspended.

Last Friday, Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim said he would wait for the complete report of the special task force investigating Felda’s management before making any official announcement.

Anwar said the task force had begun its work and its findings were expected to be presented soon.

He also said he had sent an official letter to Indonesian President Prabowo Subianto seeking special attention to Felda’s investments in the country, particularly the issue involving PT Eagle High Plantations Tbk (EHP).

Anwar said the move was prompted by the potential for financial losses of up to RM2.5bil stemming from decisions made by the previous management, with expected returns now likely to be only around RM200mil.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Region faces youth jobs crunch: World Bank
INTERACTIVE: Young workers’ share in labour force declining
INTERACTIVE: Wages lag for young workers
Remote navigation to guide planes
No Malaysians affected by attacks in Thailand
Melaka to host three Navy ships
Fahmi: Budget 2027 to focus on�cost-of-living issues
Rules to govern eye-care services
‘Proper health standards for private optometry shops’
Escaped Immigration detainees easily identifiable with bright green uniforms, shaved heads

Others Also Read