JOHOR BARU: Four suspects will be charged with murder following the discovery of a body wrapped and bound with netting in Parit Raja, Batu Pahat.
Johor police chief Comm Datuk Ab Rahaman Arsad said the four included two local men, aged 33 and 34, who were arrested on Aug 4, bringing the total number of suspects arrested in connection with the case to five.
“Following information provided by one of the suspects, police also seized a pistol from a house in the Yong Peng area at about 6.30pm on Aug 9.
“Checks found that one of the two suspects had a previous criminal record, while urine tests on both men were negative for drugs,” he said in a statement yesterday.
Comm Ab Rahaman said the investigation papers had been referred to the Johor prosecution director’s office on Aug 13.
“Four of the suspects arrested will be charged under Section 302 of the Penal Code for murder on Monday at the Batu Pahat Court.
“Meanwhile, one of the suspects will also be charged under Section 8 of the Firearms (Increased Penalties) Act 1971 for unlawful possession of a firearm at the Kluang Court at a later date,” he said.
Comm Ab Rahaman said another suspect, who was arrested earlier in connection with the case, would be released and made a prosecution witness.
It was previously reported that a body was discovered in Sungai Tanjung Sembrong at about 12.30pm on Aug 3 after the authorities were alerted.
The deceased was later identified by his next of kin through his clothing and personal belongings.
He had been reported missing by his wife on July 29.
