Southern shuttle service uses diesel trains temporarily until new EMU trains arrive, says Loke


JOHOR BARU: The use of diesel trains for the Southern Shuttle service is a temporary measure while waiting for new Electric Multiple Unit (EMU) trains to arrive, said Transport Minister Anthony Loke.

"We have two options: either to wait two to three years for 10 new EMU train sets to be completed or to use the existing trains now so that the people of Johor do not have to wait longer.

"...the new EMU trains will arrive in due time. But if the public can already use the service now, there is no need to wait," he said on Facebook on Saturday (June 20).

He said diesel trains would no longer be needed upon completion of the Gemas-Johor Bahru electrified double-tracking project, as they would be replaced by Electric Train Service (ETS) on the route.

The service linking Kulai, JB Sentral, and Pasir Gudang offers a faster, more comfortable travel option, with the Kulai-JB Sentral journey taking around 40 minutes and the Kempas Baru-Pasir Gudang journey about 40 to 45 minutes.

He said the Kempas Baru-Pasir Gudang route, previously reserved for freight services, has now been opened to passengers for the first time.

Certain quarters had criticised the service for operating older diesel trains, saying that the fares imposed were three times higher than in Kuala Lumpur and Seremban. – Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

RM1.7mil gone in 120 seconds: Robbers took only two minutes to rob Genting goldsmith
Forest fire breaks out near MAIS building in Shah Alam
Putting the rapid in RTS Link: Commuters can clear immigration in seconds, claims project director
Merdeka convoys must prioritise road safety, say police
Police obtain several leads in Seri Tambun shooting case
Man nabbed over threatening Facebook post, sword seized
‘No idea why I was dropped’: Former 1MDB CEO denies striking deal to have name removed from US$5.64bil suit
Increase Budi Diesel quota to 500 litres for Sabahans, urges state PKR Youth
Appeals court upholds RM3.4mil order against former Mara Corp group CEO
Sarawak’s sovereign data platform to strengthen AI capabilities, says Abang Jo

Others Also Read