New parties poised for debut


JOHOR BARU: Two new political outfits – Gerakan Reset and Parti Bersama Malaysia – are expected to make their debut in the Johor polls.

State Gerakan Reset coordinator Datuk Zulkifli Bujang said the movement would take part in the state election to allow Johoreans to determine whether the promises made by the state administration had translated into tangible benefits for the people.

This is particularly so in addressing economic challenges and the rising cost of living, he said.

“The dissolution was the right move as it returned the mandate to the people to decide the state’s leadership and direction for the next five years.

“Gerakan Reset is ready to enter the political arena and play a role in shaping a more prosperous, fair and progressive state,” he said.

Gerakan Reset is a socio-political initiative led by Datuk Seri Hamzah Zainudin after he was sacked from Bersatu, where he was the deputy president.

A Parti Bersama Malaysia (Bersama) source said the party was expected to decide on its participation in the state election in the coming days.

The source said the state pro-tem committee had informed the party leadership of its intention to contest.

“The matter will be made known in the next few days, pending further discussions with the party leadership on our debut,” the source added.

On May 23, during the unveiling of its pro-tem committee, Bersama announced that it was considering contesting all 56 state seats in the Johor election.

Bersama is a political platform headed by former ministers and lawmakers Datuk Seri Rafizi Ramli and Nik Nazmi Nik Ahmad, following their exit from PKR last month.

Meanwhile, it was business as usual in Johor a day after the dissolution of the state legislative assembly, with incumbent assemblymen continuing to serve the people.

Caretaker Johor health and environment committee chairman Ling Tian Soon assured the people that the state’s Bantuan Kasih Johor (BKJ) and other initiatives would continue despite the dissolution.

“These initiatives were approved by the state government prior to the dissolution, so civil servants will continue implementing them and ensure eligible recipients receive the aid,” he said when contacted.

The incumbent Yong Peng assemblyman said his constituency office would remain open to assist the people with their concerns even after the dissolution.

State unity, heritage and culture committee chairman K. Raven Kumar said meetings and events under his portfolio would be business as usual, with the Sultan Abu Bakar Heritage Complex opening today.

“The complex is set to be another tourism and cultural attraction showcasing Johor’s unique history, arts and heritage,” he said.

Incumbent Johor Jaya assemblyman Liow Cai Tung said she had received calls from concerned constituents asking whether the BKJ aid will stop following the dissolution.

“My office was closed yesterday due to the public holiday, but many elderly people still turned up to ask about the RM200 assistance,” she said.

On Monday, Mentri Besar Datuk Onn Hafiz Ghazi announced the dissolution of the state legislative assembly following the consent of Johor Regent Tunku Ismail Sultan Ibrahim, paving the way for the 16th state election.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Indonesian police arrest 72 people suspected of starting forest fires
Immigration truck crash: 'I have to be strong for my mother'
No guerrilla incursion into Kelantan following south Thai attacks, says GOF
Second boy found drowned, search operation in Keningau ends
Almost RM730mil spent on welfare aid for seniors, OKU, chronically ill this year
Sabah eyes promoting fishing as an international niche sports tourism product
Police issue 75 summonses, seize 31 bikes in anti-illegal racing ops on Second Link
Four nabbed, 3.4 tonnes of cooking oil seized in raid on smuggling ring in Terengganu
Pedestrian killed crossing SPRINT Highway near Damansara toll
Puteri Umno hopes to field candidates in Melaka polls

Others Also Read