Travel smart this festive break


Motorists advised to plan journeys as traffic builds up on highways

PETALING JAYA: Motorists travelling during the school holidays and Hari Raya Aidiladha break are advised to plan their journeys and pay heed to the SmartLane advisory.

The advice comes as traffic build-up was reported on several major highways and roads around the country as millions take to the roads to balik kampung and travel during the holidays.

The Malaysian Highway Authority (LLM) has activated several measures, including the suspension of non-emergency lane closures from May 23 to June 2, to help smooth traffic flow during the peak travel period.

In a statement, LLM said highway concessionaires had been instructed to ensure toll collection systems function smoothly, particularly at critical toll plazas.

Operational checks at rest and service areas (R&R) and lay-bys have also been intensified, LLM added.

Besides additional parking spaces and enforcement personnel at the R&R areas, LLM said 65 portable toilets had been prepared for public use.

LLM also reminded motorists to ensure their vehicles are in good condition before travelling and to make sure their Touch ‘n Go cards, e-wallets and debit cards have sufficient funds.

Motorcyclists using the highways are advised to ride carefully and seek shelter at the 571 designated motorcycle shelters during bad weather.

Meanwhile, PLUS Malaysia Bhd has reminded motorists to pay close attention to road signs and Smart­Lane indicators during their trip. A total of 34 SmartLane locations along the PLUS highways have been activated during peak hours.

The SmartLane system uses blinking lights to indicate lane activation, while non-blinking lights signal lane closure, it said.

Motorists are also encouraged to plan their journeys in advance using the MyPLUS Travel Time Advisory and the TuJu application to avoid getting caught in congestion.

As of 4pm yesterday, traffic was reported to be slow-moving along several major highways across the country.

Congestion was reported northbound along the North-South Expressway from Gua Tempurung to Gopeng and Ipoh to the Sungai Perak R&R, as well as from Juru to Perai and Seberang Jaya to Sungai Dua.

Slow-moving traffic was also reported from Skudai to Senai Utara, Ayer Hitam to Yong Peng Utara and from the Senawang lay-by to Port Dickson.

Traffic was reported to be building up after the Sungai Besi toll plaza heading towards the city centre, while southbound traffic was slow from Kempas to Jalan Dato’ Onn.

On the ELITE Highway, northbound traffic was slow-moving from Bandar Saujana Putra to USJ and from USJ to Seafield, while congestion was reported from Putra Heights to Putrajaya.

Heavy traffic was also reported in both directions along the Johor Causeway between the CIQ Wood­lands checkpoint in Singapore and the Sultan Iskandar Building in Johor Baru.

Traffic heading east on the Kuala Lumpur-Karak Highway was congested from the Middle Ring Road 2 to the Gombak toll plaza and onwards towards the Genting Sempah tunnel.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Practical skills for young women
Concerns over cost and time impact on GPs
Historic post office stamps its mark as cultural hub
No training, no licence
KTMB rolls out biggest festive operation to date
‘Enough with politics built on hatred and discord’
Anwar: Put loans within reach
Johor declares May 25 a state holiday following JDT's Malaysia Cup win
Queen arrives in Turkiye for three-day special visit
Police hunt two brothers over theft of cash box from budget rice seller

Others Also Read