SEREMBAN: The Negri Sembilan legislative assembly should be dissolved simultaneously with the Johor assembly to pave the way for a fresh state election, says DAP secretary-general Anthony Loke Siew Fook.
The Seremban MP said dissolving the Negri Sembilan assembly is the most viable option following the move by the 14 Barisan Nasional assemblymen to withdraw support for Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Aminuddin, causing their political cooperation in the unity government to become untenable.
Loke, who is also Transport Minister, said it was better to dissolve the state assembly rather than have the Mentri Besar removed through a vote of no confidence when the state assembly reconvenes or to have the state budget defeated.
"The situation has become untenable, as anything can happen when the assembly reconvenes.
"Although they (the state Barisan assemblymen) say they support the state government, we cannot take the risk as anything can happen as they can again withdraw support," he said.
Loke was asked to comment on a suggestion by state Barisan chief Datuk Seri Mohamad Hasan, who had on Friday (May 22) urged Aminuddin to dissolve the state assembly to resolve the political situation in the state.
Loke said during the Pakatan Harapan convention in Johor last Sunday, he had proposed to Pakatan chairman Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim that the Negri Sembilan assembly should be dissolved simultaneously with the Johor assembly.
"We are ready to face the state polls.
“Although we need to get the state ruler's consent for this, we have to be prepared for any eventuality," he said.
Loke said that although some may feel that the move to dissolve the assembly should not be done in haste, a new state government would have a clear mandate from the people.
"We do not have a choice as we have a trust issue in Negri Sembilan now following their decision to suddenly withdraw support.
"The mandate has been given back to the people regarding who wants to lead the state government," he said.
Loke said Pakatan had a good track record of managing Negri Sembilan, as they did for five years beginning 2018.
"We only had 20 seats but we survived despite the Sheraton Move at the federal level in 2020 and the Covid-19 outbreak," he said.
Loke said since Johor Barisan has said they will be contesting all seats in the state election, Negri Sembilan Pakatan will also do the same here.
On a separate matter, Loke dismissed talk that Bersatu was considering joining Pakatan following its problems with PAS.
"I have neither heard anything nor been told about it. I do not wish to speculate on such talk as this may purely be due to rumours that PAS was planning to divorce Bersatu," he said.
Loke said the DAP had worked together with Bersatu previously and even supported its candidate for the Prime Minister's post but was eventually betrayed and was not in favour of new collaboration with the party.
Earlier, Loke had presented cash incentives and certificates to 406 students from schools in Seremban who excelled in last year's SPM examination.
One student who scored 11A+ was given RM2,000 while 25 others who received 9A+ and above received RM1,500 each.
The remaining straight-A students received RM100 for each A obtained.
