Setting up a public sex offenders registry an uphill task, says Nancy


PUTRAJAYA: The setup of a public sex offenders registry is still ongoing and being discussed among the relevant ministries and agencies, says Datuk Seri Nancy Shukri.

The Women, Family and Community Development Minister said the task is not easy.

"This is because it involves issues such as human rights and personal data. But we will not stop... for the sake of the rights of the children.

"Having a registry would actually help vetting processes.

"We hope to get good outcomes (to better protect children) from that. But we need more input from the various ministries involved as well," she told reporters here on Friday (May 22) in response to recent cases of sexual offences against children.

Currently, the ministry and the Social Welfare Department maintain a Child Sexual Offenders Registration System via the e-DKK Register which is available to the authorities, schools and institutions working with children to screen potential hires.

Additionally, Nancy said ongoing amendments to the Child Act 2001 will make it more relevant and suitable for current challenges, especially the evolving online safety aspect.

Regarding the alleged sexual assault involving a teacher against her 14-year-old student in Seremban, Nancy said she hoped the Education Ministry would take appropriate action.

"I'm surprised. I have mixed feelings about that because I'm a mother and also a grandmother already.

"We are concerned about (this) and we hope the ministry... will take stricter action.

"I just hope that the case is not set aside and the alleged offender kept in cold storage. They have to do something for the sake of the child involved," she said.

On Wednesday (May 20), a teacher was charged in the Seremban Sessions Court with five counts of committing sexual assault against her 14-year-old male student since last year.

She pleaded not guilty to all the charges.

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

51 luxury vehicles with total unpaid road tax of RM175,000 seized in Penang this year
PAS to review ties with Bersatu as patience has its limits, says Hadi
Convene Negri assembly now to test MB mandate, Tok Mat tells Aminuddin
Car crash in Gombak kills three students, injures one
Prisons Dept allows family visits for Aidiladha on May 29-30
Govt assures 85% of consumers protected from power tariff hikes
Abdul Fattah re-elected ACO president for 2026-2030 term
Community help needed to find unregistered childcare centres, says Nancy
Caregiver, 60, nabbed for allegedly abusing four-year-old
Cross-border petrol smuggling bid foiled in Semporna

Others Also Read