Govt assures 85% of consumers protected from power tariff hikes


PUTRAJAYA: Electricity tariff protection will remain in place to ensure about 85% of Malaysians are shielded from any impact, despite pressure from rising energy costs on prices and the economy.

Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Fadillah Yusof, who is also Energy Transition and Water Transformation Minister, said domestic consumers using up to 600kWh of electricity per month would not be affected, although minor adjustments may apply to those exceeding the threshold.

"Our electricity cost structure guarantees that 85% of the people will not be affected, and the government will maintain that protection," he told reporters after attending the ministry’s monthly assembly here on Friday (May 22).

Fadillah said any anticipated increase would not involve a blanket electricity tariff hike, but would instead stem from global supply disruptions that have driven up logistics and supply chain costs.

He said consumers using more than 600kWh per month might face slight adjustments.

"There may be increases involving certain industries or sectors, but we are still evaluating the overall impact," he said.

Earlier in his speech, Fadillah said Malaysia was also feeling the effects of global supply chain uncertainty and supply crises, but stressed that the government remained committed to addressing the challenges through a pragmatic approach prioritising public welfare.

He said the government is focused on ensuring a stable supply of essential needs, protecting the public from excessive cost-of-living pressures and strengthening the country's long-term economic resilience.

"Various measures, including targeted assistance, price controls, stronger energy security and strategic cooperation between the government, industry and the people, are being and will continue to be implemented.

"What is important is that we face this crisis with a spirit of togetherness," he said. - Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

PAS to review ties with Bersatu as patience has its limits, says Hadi
Setting up a public sex offenders registry an uphill task, says Nancy
Convene Negri assembly now to test MB mandate, Tok Mat tells Aminuddin
Car crash in Gombak kills three students, injures one
Prisons Dept allows family visits for Aidiladha on May 29-30
Abdul Fattah re-elected ACO president for 2026-2030 term
Community help needed to find unregistered childcare centres, says Nancy
Caregiver, 60, nabbed for allegedly abusing four-year-old
Cross-border petrol smuggling bid foiled in Semporna
Senior Citizens Bill timely as life expectancy, challenges of ageing increase, says Lam Thye

Others Also Read