MMEA nabbed 4,107 migrants, 316 smugglers in 2026 so far, says deputy DG


SANDAKAN: The Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency (MMEA) recorded the detention of 4,107 migrants and 316 smugglers under the Anti‑Trafficking in Persons and Anti‑Smuggling of Migrants Act 2007 (ATIPSOM) throughout 2026.

MMEA deputy director general for operations Vice-Admiral Mohd Zawawi Abdullah said migrant smuggling syndicates remain active in using Malaysian waters due to the country’s strategic location in the region.

He said statistics for 2026 showed that the three countries with the highest number of migrants detained were Myanmar with 1,932 people, followed by Indonesia with 1,727, and the Philippines with 180.

“This situation proves that the threat of migrant smuggling remains serious and requires aggressive and continuous enforcement action across all national waters,” he said in his speech at the closing ceremony of Operation Redback 22/2026 (Op Redback), a joint operation with the Australian Border Force (ABF) in waters off Sandakan from May 18-22.

ABF Counsellor to Malaysia, Supt Brooke Leung, headed the Australian Border Force delegation.

Mohd Zawawi said MMEA has opened eight investigation papers on migrant smuggling (SOM) cases this year, involving the detention of 19 smugglers and 233 migrants.

Of the smugglers detained, the majority were Indonesians (13), followed by Myanmar nationals (three), Thais (two), and one Malaysian.

As for migrants detained or rescued, 184 were Indonesians, 46 were Myanmar nationals, and three were Bangladeshis.

Mohd Zawawi, meanwhile, said the joint operation involved five main assets - KM Pintar, KM Tebrau, Banggi 14, Kilat 34, and Kilat 37 - in addition to sea patrols, the use of Sea Riders, intelligence sharing, and community engagement with fishermen in Kampung Sungai Daling and Kampung Bambangan here.

Among the successes of the operation, MMEA seized 27 boxes of cooking oil during an inspection at Kampung Pukat Fishermen’s Jetty on May 21.

The case is being investigated under Section 21 of the Supply Control Act 1961 for possession of controlled goods without authorisation, and all seizures were brought to Sandakan Maritime Zone Jetty for further action.

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

More than 160,000 SPM school leavers offered IPTA spots
Rising cases show male sexual harassment victims feel safer to report abuse, says Tenaganita
Three Myanmar nationals remanded over compatriot's death in Kepong
Motorcycle theft gang busted with arrest of six, including teen ringleader
Jamal Yunos makes public apology to settle KJ's defamation suit
Negri Bersatu reps' SD U-turn ‘violates spirit of Perikatan cooperation’, says Hadi
Court 'no' to prohibition order against Na'imah, son and others over alleged funds in S'pore banks
Youths encouraged to turn tree planting into a habit
Energy supply secure, says PM Anwar after govt assures of supply until December
Seremban factory worker fined for wrongful abortion

Others Also Read