Ebola alert rises at borders


KUALA LUMPUR: The Health Ministry has tightened its Ebola watch after an outbreak caused by the Bundibugyo virus was declared a Public Health Emer­gency of International Concern by the World Health Organisation (WHO).

The ministry said while there are no Ebola cases reported in Malaysia so far, it is ramping up preparation measures, taking into account the risk of imported cases through international travel following outbreaks in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and Uganda on May 17.

“We are taking into consideration the risk of imported cases through international travel and will continue to strengthen our preparedness and monitoring measures to ensure the country is always ready to face any eventuality.

“We are monitoring travellers entering Malaysia from Uganda and the DRC, including those transiting through international hubs such as Dubai, Doha and Singapore.

“There are currently no direct flights from these two countries to Malaysia,” said a ministry statement yesterday.

It said monitoring and screening efforts are being intensified to assess public health risks and implement early prevention measures.

It said based on information provided by the WHO, there are eight laboratory-confirmed cases and 246 suspected cases reported to the WHO as of May 16, as well as 80 suspected deaths in the Ituri Province in DRC.

In Uganda, there are two confirmed cases, including one death, reported in Kampala, involving an individual with a travel history to the DRC.

“Ebola is a serious infectious disease that can be fatal. It is spread through close contact with the blood or body fluids of infec­ted people or animals.

“Common symptoms include fever, headache, muscle pain, fatigue, vomiting and diarrhoea, and in some cases, bleeding,” it said.

The ministry said various measures are being implemented such as enhanced surveillance at all international entry points, including airports and seaports.

This included improving early case detection through the existing infectious disease surveillance system by monitoring symptomatic individuals with a history of travel to the affected areas.

The ministry is also strengthening coordination and global risk monitoring with the WHO, the Malaysian Border Control and Protection Agency, airlines and other relevant agencies.

“Individuals with a history of travel to the affected countries are advised to seek immediate treatment if they experience symptoms such as fever, body aches, vomiting or bleeding within 21 days of returning from the country,” it said.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Do you know ... about Pasar Borneo Seri Kembangan?
The growing pain in Malaysia’s big toes
Malaysia, Singapore sign strategic health MOU
Right date for couples to tie the knot
Presenting a united front
Family escape earthquake, thanks to dog
DBKL offers business licence renewal for up to three years from July 1
Five arrested in India for scamming prominent figures
Actress Zara Zya given shady offers in early days
No tolerance for cement subsidy abuse

Others Also Read