SHAH ALAM: Police have arrested a man believed to be involved in the abduction, abuse and sodomy of a 14-year-old boy at an apartment in Bukit Kemuning on May 12.
Selangor police chief Comm Datuk Shazeli Kahar said the suspect was arrested around Kuala Lumpur on Saturday (May 16) and is currently under remand.
"The first remand order will end on Tuesday (May 19). If investigations are not completed by then, we will apply for an extension.
"Give us time to complete the investigation... I am confident we will obtain positive results," he told a press conference here on Monday (May 18).
ALSO READ: Man sought over confinement, sexual assault of teen
Comm Shazeli said the suspect was arrested at a rented house and was working as a debt collector.
"He moved around using public transport and e-hailing services. The victim was chosen at random," he said.
He added that the suspect tested negative for drugs.
"Checks also found that the suspect has a criminal record and was released from prison in April last year," he said.
It was reported last week that the suspect allegedly deceived the victim by offering to buy the teenager a mobile phone internet package if he helped the man carry items at his house.
Instead, the victim was tied up and sexually assaulted, police said, adding that he managed to free himself after being confined for about three hours and sought help from a neighbour.
