PKR moves to steady Batu division after chief quits


PETALING JAYA: PKR leaders have moved to steady the party’s Batu division following the resignation of division chief Asheeq Ali Sethi Alivi from all party posts and from the party.

In statements issued on Saturday (May 16), both the Federal Territories PKR leadership and Batu division committee members stressed that the party machinery would continue operating as usual despite the leadership shake-up.

Federal Territories PKR chairman Datuk Azman Abidin said the party respected Asheeq’s decision to relinquish his positions as Batu division chief and Federal Territories Youth chief.

“Leadership changes are a normal process in any democratic party, and PKR will continue moving forward based on its reform agenda and collective struggle,” he said.

Azman said discussions had already begun with Batu division leaders, including the deputy division chief, to ensure continuity in the party’s administration and grassroots movement without disruption.

Meanwhile, Batu PKR committee members reaffirmed their support for PKR president Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim and the Federal Territories PKR leadership under Azman.

The committee members said Asheeq’s resignation was a personal decision and did not represent the stance of the Batu division as a whole.

“The administration and activities of the Batu division will continue as usual under the leadership of deputy division chief Idawatie Pariman to ensure the party machinery remains strong and focused on defending the Batu parliamentary seat,” they said.

Earlier on Saturday, Asheeq announced that he was leaving PKR with immediate effect, citing growing differences between his political ideals and the party’s current direction.

“I am increasingly caught between the ideals I hold and the new pragmatism that is becoming more entrenched within the party,” he said, adding that many government decisions had deviated from the principles he believed in since his activism days.

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Immigration lorry crash: Investigation paper to be referred to AGC on Aug 20
Cops seize over 50,000 litres of misappropriated diesel during Puchong raid
Seven-day remand for man suspected of setting woman on fire
Budget 2027: Penang urges govt to commit to establishing new financial centre
Kelantan Customs seizes nearly 2 million sticks of smuggled cigarettes
Fuel prices Aug 20-26: Unsubsidised petrol, diesel prices all up 10-20sen
Govt has final say on SC oversight of Tabung Haji, says chairman
Immigration lorry hit by car just before fatal crash, say cops
Former 1MDB CEO denies deal with late Sri Ram to testify in favour of company
Suing ex-MACC chief, AG not an act of revenge, says Shahrir

Others Also Read