Over 251 tonnes of illegal waste seized in Port Klang raid


PETALING JAYA: A total of 10 containers carrying electronic waste (e-waste) and scheduled waste, weighing more than 251 tonnes, were detected by authorities at Port Klang on Wednesday (April 8).

Port Klang Border Control and Protection Agency (AKPS) commander Deputy Comm Datuk Nik Ezanee Mohd Faisal said the multi-agency operation codenamed Ops Green Shield 21 inspected several shipping containers from 9.30am to 1pm.

“A total of 15 personnel from various agencies were involved in the inspections,” he said in a statement on Thursday (April 9).

DCP Nik Ezanee said 11 containers were inspected, with nine found to contain electronic waste classified as SW110, weighing 227.45 tonnes.

“In addition, one container was found to contain scheduled waste classified as SW102, weighing 24 tonnes, bringing the total to 251.45 tonnes,” he said.

He added that another container carrying metal scrap had been handed over to SIRIM for further action.

“Investigations also revealed that two local companies are believed to have made false declarations via K1 forms in relation to the goods.

“Following this, enforcement action has been taken and the case has been handed over to the Customs Department for further investigation,” he said.

He added that the operation was carried out with the Customs Department, the Environment Department, SIRIM and the Port Klang Authority.

DCP Nik Ezanee said AKPS would continue to intensify inspections on containers suspected of carrying prohibited e-waste, in line with the full ban on e-waste imports which came into force on April 1.

“The ban was implemented through the gazetting of the Customs (Prohibition of Imports) (Amendment) (No. 3) Order 2026 [P.U.(A) 151/2026], placed under the First Schedule of the order,” he said.

He added that AKPS would continue strengthening control and enforcement at the country’s entry points to safeguard border sovereignty and national interests.

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Welfare Dept to take custody of baby who tested positive for drugs
Scammers shifting to RCS, iMessage to spread phishing URLs, says MCMC
Putrajaya to prevent future disputes over Sabah blue economy
Anwar to attend Annual Leaders' Consultation during two-day working visit to Brunei
Driver killed after lorry crashes into drain near Ayer Hitam school
Melaka BN being courted like a 'maiden' ahead of state polls, says Ab Rauf
Anwar to make important announcements on Aug 30, Sept 16
Kedah MB's ex-political secretary ordered to enter defence in bribery case
Ex-1MDB CEO doesn't know why allegations in separate suit changed, court hears
SC wins suit, five individuals ordered to pay RM103.75mil

Others Also Read