Strict enforcement of vape ban to continue, says JB mayor


JOHOR BARU: The Johor Baru City Council (MBJB) will continue its strict ban on the sale of vape and electronic cigarettes, with no licences to be issued for such businesses anywhere in the state.

Johor Baru mayor Datuk Mohd Haffiz Ahmad said the prohibition, which has been in place since 2016 in line with a decree by the Sultan of Johor, remains fully enforced, particularly involving the sale of vape devices and nicotine-based liquids.

He warned that firm legal action would be taken against those who defy the ruling, adding that MBJB would act without compromise, including seizing premises found selling vape products.

"Integrated enforcement operations are being carried out together with the Johor Health Department under the Control of Smoking Products for Public Health Act 2024," he said in his speech during the MBJB full council meeting here on Monday (March 30).

Haffiz added that MBJB will carry out a second round of vape destruction exercises this year, following the first on Jan 22, 2024, which involved cases from 2023.

He said this year’s exercise will involve confiscated items from 2024, with enforcement action taken against 47 premises under the MBJB Trade, Business and Industrial By-Laws 2016.

"A total of 14,866 vape devices and 3,411 units of vape liquids were seized throughout 2024, with an estimated market value of between RM1.5mil and RM2mil," he said.

Despite strong demand for such products, Haffiz stressed that the health risks associated with vaping are clear and harmful.

He added that MBJB will continue to intensify enforcement efforts to ensure Johor Baru remains a safe and liveable city for all.

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Govt refining Subsidised Diesel Control System to make it more targeted, says Akmal
Two men fined RM1,300, ordered to do community service for littering
Malaysia's inflation rate remains stable, lower than regional peers
Penang govt has implemented 47 out of 50 manifesto pledges, says CM
Housewife charged again over offensive post against King
Penang Pakatan remains open to working with Barisan, says Chow
Barisan to continue maintaining understanding in Unity Govt, says Zambry
MBI Selangor denies involvement in Bernam Maritime Industrial Park project
Anti-sexual harassment tribunal resolved 69 cases so far this year, says Nancy
Court acquits former Perlis MB's son of RM19,505 false claim charge

Others Also Read