Middle East conflict: PM to chair National Economic Action Council meeting on March 31


KUALA LUMPUR: Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim will chair the National Economic Action Council (MTEN) meeting on Tuesday (March 31) to discuss strategies to address the impact of the geopolitical conflict in the Middle East on the country's food security.

Deputy Agriculture and Food Security Minister Datuk Chan Foong Hin said the discussions aim to provide relief to agricultural industry players, particularly in the fisheries and crop cultivation sectors, which are currently facing major challenges due to current developments.

Chan said the Middle East conflict is not merely a regional issue but has sparked a global chain reaction, including an energy crisis and a surge in oil prices, putting direct pressure on Asian economies.

"The disruption in the Strait of Hormuz is a clear indication that stability of the world's fuel supply can no longer be taken for granted. Its implications are also felt in the food supply chain, which ultimately affects people's cost of living.

"Although our country is still resilient towards this global crisis, we cannot be complacent. The government remains committed to being prepared by taking proactive measures to face any eventuality, including the worst-case scenario,” he posted on Facebook.

Earlier, Chan attended a briefing session on the presentation of the MTEN paper to Agriculture and Food Security Minister Datuk Seri Mohamad Sabu, which focused on the current state of the nation's food supply and measures needed to strengthen mitigation efforts. – Bernama

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Wiring faults leading cause of fires involving heritage building in Penang, says Bomba
Penang Pakatan remains open to working with Barisan, says Chow
Barisan to continue maintaining understanding in Unity Govt, says Zambry
Anti-sexual harassment tribunal resolved 69 cases so far this year, says Nancy
Court acquits former Perlis MB's son of RM19,505 false claim charge
Nancy: We are monitoring the sexual harassment case in Sarawak involving police officer
Mindef to strengthen local defence industry, says Khaled
Woman fined RM2,000 for offering sexual services
Malaysia warns regional nations over Norway defence deals after axed RM1bil missile pact
Johor Barisan's move to contest state election independently not a betrayal of unity govt, says Zambry

Others Also Read