PONTIAN: The man who went missing while fishing with his son at Sungai Parit Bugis here has been identified as Albert Tan Siang Fook, a 56-year-old subcontractor with a bus body manufacturer in Kulai.
Pontian OCPD Supt Hadzrat Hussien Mion Hussain said the victim and his adopted son left the Bumbung Biru jetty in Tanjung Ayer Hitam, Kayu Ara Pasong, at about 8am on Sunday (Feb 22).
"They departed from the jetty on a boat with a 20-horsepower engine rented from a local operator.
"It is understood that the boat struck a piece of wood, causing the victim to fall into the river some 800m from the jetty.
"However, the victim’s son managed to save himself by holding on to the boat and witnessed the incident," he said in a statement.
ALSO READ: SAR op ongoing for missing angler in Pontian
Supt Hadzrat Hussien said an incident control post had been set up and a search and rescue (SAR) operation launched involving the police, Fire and Rescue Department, and Civil Defence Force.
"Efforts to locate the man are still ongoing," he said, adding that the child has been handed over to his family, while Hospital Pontian has also been informed of the incident.
He urged the public to always prioritize safety when engaging in water activities, including wearing life vests and ensuring boats are in good condition to avoid untoward incidents.
Meanwhile, Pontian Fire and Rescue Department commander Mohd Ezal Azman said eight firemen in two vehicles were deployed to the scene after receiving a call about the incident at 9.03am, and efforts to find Tan are ongoing.
It was earlier reported that police said a man is feared to have drowned after going fishing with his son.
Earlier, a social media post about a boy found covered in mud at Jambatan Parit Bugis went viral.
According to the post, the boy said his father drowned after falling off a boat while fishing.
