PAS still wants to lead PN, says Takiyuddin


KOTA BHARU: PAS continues to maintain its intention to lead Perikatan Nasional after the coalition’s chairmanship post fell vacant, with all component parties reportedly agreeing to the proposal.

Perikatan Deputy Secretary-General Datuk Seri Takiyuddin Hassan said there is, for now, a preliminary agreement among coalition parties for PAS to take the lead to ensure stability and to maintain the opposition’s political direction, reported Sinar Harian.

"We have agreed that Perikatan will be led by a new chairman from PAS," he said.

"The final decision will be made at the Extraordinary Meeting of the Perikatan Supreme Council this Sunday (Feb 22)," he added.

According to him, although earlier reports indicated that some parties opposed PAS leading Perikatan, recent developments indicate that all member parties are now aligned.

"There may have been talk in the past, but at this point we understand that all parties have agreed to move forward together," he said.

"We are waiting for the official outcome of the meeting," he added.

Perikatan currently comprises four main parties, and the decision to appoint a new chairman will be made in accordance with the coalition’s constitution.

For the record, the four main parties that make up the Periakatan coalition are PAS, Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia, Parti Gerakan Rakyat Malaysia, and Parti Solidariti Tanah Airku.

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Malaysia's inflation rate remains stable, lower than regional peers
Penang govt has implemented 47 out of 50 manifesto pledges, says CM
Housewife charged again over offensive post against King
Penang Pakatan remains open to working with Barisan, says Chow
Barisan to continue maintaining understanding in Unity Govt, says Zambry
MBI Selangor denies involvement in Bernam Maritime Industrial Park project
Anti-sexual harassment tribunal resolved 69 cases so far this year, says Nancy
Court acquits former Perlis MB's son of RM19,505 false claim charge
Nancy: We are monitoring the sexual harassment case in Sarawak involving police officer
Mindef to strengthen local defence industry, says Khaled

Others Also Read