MCMC enforces new digital rules


Safe space: Fahmi (second from right) speaking to a group of children during Community Day celebrations at the National Information Dissemination Centre in Taman Desa Belantik in Johor. — Bernama

JOHOR BARU: The Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) has called in all social media platforms as it implements a new ruling that will bar those under 16 from having accounts.

The Online Safety Act 2025 (ONSA) came into force on Jan 1, says Datuk Fahmi Fadzil.

The Communications Minister said the platforms were called to ensure they understand the subsidiary instruments related to the Act.

“They will need to make the necessary changes as soon as possible.

“This includes stopping children below 16 from owning or opening social media accounts, and preventing platforms from allowing online gambling advertisements, scam advertisements or AI (artificial intelligence) deepfake advertisements.

“The Act is already in place, the platforms have been called in, and we will implement it,” he told a press conference after launching the Jelajah Ramadan 2026 at Pasar Tani Kekal Datin Halimah in Larkin here yesterday.

The minister said this when asked to comment on Her Majesty Raja Zarith Sofiah, Queen of Malaysia’s call for the safety of children and teenagers in the online space to be given serious attention.

“The ministry expresses its deepest gratitude for the decree of Her Majesty. This matter is indeed a priority for the MCMC.

“With fast, affordable and widespread internet access, coupled with devices that are increasingly within reach, society is exposed to many unhealthy and criminal elements,” said Fahmi.

He added that there has been a rise in cyberbullying, online scams and sexual crimes against children since last year.

In a Facebook statement on Saturday, the Queen also expressed concern over the growing prevalence of mental health issues that are increasingly showing negative impacts, particularly among children and teenagers.

On an unrelated matter, Fahmi, who is also PKR information chief, said all Malaysians, including former PKR deputy president Datuk Seri Rafizi Ramli, have the right to take part in the protest against Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) chief commissioner Tan Sri Azam Baki.

“We have yet to discuss it. I feel it’s too early for me to say anything. We leave it to the party if there are any complaints.

“So far, the party’s secretary-general has not informed us of receiving any complaints, but those who gathered have the right to do so, and there is no issue from a legal standpoint.

“He (Rafizi) has the right to do what he wants, as under the Federal Constitution, Malaysians have the right to assemble,” he said in response to a question from the media on whether PKR would take action against Rafizi over his involvement in the protest held on Sunday.

Fahmi said that a special investigation committee had been formed by the Cabinet before the demonstration took place.

“We leave it to the special committee. Before the rally took place, the Cabinet had already taken action by announcing the formation of a special committee to investigate the issue.

“We will leave it to the full investigation. He (Azam) has also openly stated that he is ready to be investigated,” added Fahmi.

Chief Secretary to the Government Tan Sri Shamsul Azri Abu Bakar had said on Friday that the special committee would be headed by Attorney General Tan Sri Mohd Dusuki Mokhtar, with Public Service Department director-general Tan Sri Wan Ahmad Dahlan Abdul Aziz and Treasury secretary-general Datuk Johan Mahmood Merican serving as members of the committee.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Woman killed, two injured in Chinese New Year crash near Bukit Beruntung
Ipoh floods: 26 people sheltered at Al Ghufron mosque
JPJ issues over 7,000 notices to motorcyclists during 2026 CNY special operation
Pahang Sultan, Tengku Ampuan extend CNY greetings
Clean up after fireworks or face the music, revellers reminded
No ang pow, but new bonds for PLKN trainees
Bersatu turmoil deepens as divisions seek dissolution
Early CNY gift for historic Chinese village
Four groups to benefit from Second Chance policy
Governance overhaul marches on

Others Also Read