Perikatan leaders to meet at Muhyiddin's house, extraordinary meeting cancelled


PETALING JAYA: The Perikatan Nasional extraordinary meeting scheduled for Thursday (Jan 29) has been cancelled, and all leaders of the coalition's component parties will instead meet at Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin's house.

A letter dated Tuesday (Jan 27), signed by PAS secretary general and Perikatan deputy secretary general Datuk Seri Takiyuddin Hassan, was sent to all the members of the coalition Supreme Council stating that the meeting has been called off.

"I refer to the letter from Muhyiddin as Bersatu president, dated Jan 27, 2026, addressed to the Presidents of PAS, Gerakan, and MIPP, a copy of which was forwarded to me.

"In line with (Muhyiddin’s) invitation to the presidents of all Perikatan member parties to attend the pre-council meeting on 29 January 2026 at 8.30pm at (his) residence, I hereby cancel the Notice of the Extraordinary Meeting of the Perikatan Supreme Council scheduled for the same date and time," wrote Takiyuddin in the letter.

On Monday, Takiyuddin announced that Perikatan would hold an emergency supreme council meeting on Jan 29 at the Gerakan headquarters in Cheras at 8.30pm.

He said the meeting will have three agenda items: First, to appoint a meeting chairman from among Perikatan’s deputy chairmen; second, to approve Muhyiddin’s resignation in accordance with the coalition’s constitution; and third, upon approval, to appoint a new Perikatan chairman.

“I invite all 16 supreme council members to attend this emergency meeting,” he said.

However, Takiyuddin said invitations were not extended to individuals who had already resigned.

“When Muhyiddin’s resignation took effect on Jan 1, he became functus officio," he added.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

RM1.7mil gone in 120 seconds: Robbers took only two minutes to rob Genting goldsmith
Forest fire breaks out near MAIS building in Shah Alam
Putting the rapid in RTS Link: Commuters can clear immigration in seconds, claims project director
Merdeka convoys must prioritise road safety, say police
Police obtain several leads in Seri Tambun shooting case
Man nabbed over threatening Facebook post, sword seized
‘No idea why I was dropped’: Former 1MDB CEO denies striking deal to have name removed from US$5.64bil suit
Increase Budi Diesel quota to 500 litres for Sabahans, urges state PKR Youth
Appeals court upholds RM3.4mil order against former Mara Corp group CEO
Sarawak’s sovereign data platform to strengthen AI capabilities, says Abang Jo

Others Also Read