Jalan Tun Abdul Razak bridge in Ipoh to open temporarily for Thaipusam procession


IPOH: The Ipoh City Council (MBI) has carried out various safety tests on the Jalan Tun Abdul Razak Bridge before deciding that it is safe to be used during the Thaipusam celebration this Sunday.

Perak Health, Human Resources and Indian Community Affairs Committee chairman Datuk A. Sivanesan said the bridge, which was undergoing repair works, would only be open to vehicles involved in kavadi procession activities from Jan 31 to Feb 2.

"MBI has agreed for the bridge to be opened temporarily on the condition that only vehicles not exceeding three tonnes and carrying kavadi are allowed to pass through the bridge.

"If any other public vehicles are found using the bridge, the police will take appropriate action,” he said at a press conference after chairing a Thaipusam coordination meeting at the Perak Darul Ridzuan Building here on Monday (Jan 26).

Previously, Ipoh Mayor Zamakhshari Hanipah was reported as saying that permission to use the bridge route was granted solely for the celebration, subject to compliance with specific conditions.

Meanwhile, Sivanesan said about 500,000 Hindu devotees from across the country, including members of the public and foreign tourists, were expected to visit the Sri Subramaniar Temple at Gunung Cheroh here in conjunction with the Thaipusam celebration.

He said Digital Minister Gobind Singh Deo and Deputy Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department (Law and Institutional Reform) M. Kulasegaran were expected to attend the celebration at about 10am. - Bernama

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Anwar takes over Pandan as adopted constituency
Supporters gather in KLIA to welcome Global Sumud Flotilla activists’ return
Shots fired at suspects attempting to ram policemen
Traffic builds up on major highways as holiday travellers return
Malaysian citizen confirmed dead in Philippine building collapse
Bersatu claims PAS failed to work together to resolve Perlis, NS crises
Two killed in road collision near Bagan Serai
We are the moderate brand that gave you votes, Bersatu tells PAS off
Don’t poke into our internal affairs, Bersatu tells PAS
Defence Ministry mulling offers to replace cancelled Norwegian missile deal

Others Also Read