Man pleads not guilty to injuring participant at Global Sumud Flotilla rally


KUALA LUMPUR: A 32-year-old jobless man claimed trial at the Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday (Dec 31) here to a charge of injuring a man during the Global Sumud Flotilla rally held in front of the United States Embassy last October.

Isa Hazmi Zulkifli was charged with voluntarily causing hurt by assaulting the victim, Mohd Hafizi Nor Azrin, who was also a participant in the rally, at about 1.30pm on Oct 2.

The offence was allegedly committed in front of the US Embassy along Jalan Tun Razak here.

Isa Hazmi was charged under Section 323 of the Penal Code, which carries a maximum sentence of one year’s imprisonment or a fine of up to RM2,000, or both, upon conviction.

Deputy public prosecutor Nur Farhana Mohamad Poad offered bail at RM5,000 with one surety.

She also asked the court to impose an additional condition that the accused must not interfere with prosecution witnesses.

Isa Hazmi's lawyer, Zaid Malek, however, requested a lower bail of RM700.

He said his client, who previously worked as a cleaner, has to support his elderly mother.

Magistrate Faezahnoor Hassan set bail at RM1,300 on one surety.

The case is set for mention on Feb 12. 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
court , injury , rally , Global Sumud Flotilla

Next In Nation

PKR can prove Rafizi and Nik Nazmi joined Bersama before vacating seats, says sec-gen
Three South Koreans plead not guilty to kidnapping, demanding nearly RM40mil ransom
Court to decide on Zizie Izette’s graft case on July 20
Job placement for registered refugees to help ease critical workforce issues, says Saifuddin
S'wak to teach Computer Science and Design in English from 2029
Cops submit investigation papers of fatal Petaling Jaya crash to AGC
Smugglers turn to rivers, coastal routes amid tighter controls, cops say
Speaker officially notified of Samsuri's appointment as Opposition Leader
King presents instruments of appointment to 15 envoys
Dewan Rakyat Speaker yet to be informed of Pandan, Setiawangsa seat vacancies

Others Also Read