Sarawak deputy premier wins defamation suit


KUCHING: The High Court has ordered Sarawak DAP chairman Chong Chieng Jen to pay RM500,000 in damages and costs to Deputy Premier Datuk Dr Sim Kui Hian over defamatory remarks involving Covid-19 food relief funds in 2020.

In his ruling yesterday, Justice Alwi Abdul Wahab allowed Dr Sim’s claim that Chong’s Facebook posts on the matter were maliciously published and calculated to injure his reputation.

He also found that Chong had failed to establish his defence and dismissed his counterclaim that Dr Sim’s related press statements were defamatory.

Consequently, the court awarded RM350,000 in general and aggravated damages for defamation, RM50,000 in general damages for malicious falsehood and RM100,000 in total costs to Dr Sim.

The suit, filed in 2020, arose from two Facebook posts by Chong in April 2020 alleging misuse and manipulation of RM800,000 in government food relief funds during the Covid-19 pandemic.

Dr Sim claimed that the posts were defamatory and damaging to his reputation, while Chong, who is Stampin MP and Padungan assemblyman, defended them as fair criticism of the state government’s food aid distribution policy.

After the ruling, Dr Sim said justice had been done.

“The judgment, after some 60 days of trial, is a testament to the importance of courage and patience in the path of justice,” he said.

Meanwhile, Chong said he would appeal against the judgment on personal and public interest grounds.

“I am of the view that my comment was a fair criticism against the state government’s discriminatory policy and will stand by my position,” he said.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Bukit Aman to investigate those linked to discovery of prohibited items at Ipoh HQ lock-up
Police step up traffic management as Aidiladha exodus builds up in Gua Musang
MetMalaysia warns of thunderstorms in nine states until 7pm (May 24)
Raya exodus commences; traffic building up on several major expressways
Anwar scheduled to open two-day Sabah Kaamatan festival
WCE Section 3 targets year-end completion, to open in 2027
Govt expands AI development to rural areas to improve tech literacy
Removing numbers from counters has curtailed illegal entry syndicates, says Johor Immigration
46,542 commuting accidents recorded in 2025, says PERKESO
Man nabbed after failed snatch theft attempt in hospital parking lot

Others Also Read