Case of student allegedly harassing teacher among reasons for social media ban for minors


PUTRAJAYA: A primary student who allegedly harassed his female teacher via WhatsApp is an example why there is a need to restrict minors from using social media, says Datuk Fahmi Fadzil.

The Communications Minister said he had received the complaint personally from the teacher.

"The teacher complained that the student had sent her a message requesting indecent photos.

"The student is from Year 4, so he must be under the age of 16," Fahmi told a press conference after launching the Safe Internet Campaign Mega Carnival at IOI Grand Exhibition Hall and Convention Centre, on Saturday (Dec 6).

Fahmi said the incident raised questions as WhatsApp has a minimum age limit of 16 years to use the platform.

Fahmi expressed hope that restricting minors from using social media and messaging platforms could prevent similar incidents.

He previously said that the ban on those under 16 from accessing social media platforms and to tighten content controls for teenagers under 18, was part of 10 subsidiary laws being drafted under the Online Safety Act 2025.

He explained that the move was among initiatives to curb cross-age cybercrime and protect children from the risk of online exploitation and sexual predators.

Among the mechanisms being refined is the implementation of Electronic Know Your Customer (eKYC) verification which will be mandatory for social media platforms.

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Anwar takes over Pandan as adopted constituency
Supporters gather in KLIA to welcome Global Sumud Flotilla activists’ return
Shots fired at suspects attempting to ram policemen
Traffic builds up on major highways as holiday travellers return
Malaysian citizen confirmed dead in Philippine building collapse
Bersatu claims PAS failed to work together to resolve Perlis, NS crises
Two killed in road collision near Bagan Serai
We are the moderate brand that gave you votes, Bersatu tells PAS off
Don’t poke into our internal affairs, Bersatu tells PAS
Defence Ministry mulling offers to replace cancelled Norwegian missile deal

Others Also Read