I’ll follow the law, says Shafie on contempt case


-filepic

KOTA KINABALU: Parti Warisan president Datuk Seri Shafie Apdal says he is prepared to abide by the law and let his lawyers handle a contempt of court case against him.

He said it is best to leave the matter to his legal team but stressed that he would obey the law, whatever the outcome.

“This is only a coroner kind of (matter) and not a court trial.

“There’s a long process there,” Shafie said when asked whether he hopes the contempt case against him will go smoothly.

Shafie said he had submitted a letter to the Attorney General’s Chambers explaining what he had said and what transpired during the speech that led to the contempt order, adding that both parties were aware of the matter.

Shafie spoke to reporters after a Warisan meeting with residents in Sembulan on Friday night.

Earlier that morning, the Coroner’s Court granted leave for the prosecution to initiate contempt proceedings against Shafie over remarks made during a speech that allegedly interfered with the ongoing inquest into the death of schoolgirl Zara Qairina Mahathir.

Sessions Court judge Amir Shah Amir Hassan, sitting as Coroner, ruled that there was a prima facie case for contempt after hearing submissions by deputy public prosecutors Mohamad Mustaffa P. Kunyalan and Nadia Mohd Izhar at the Kota Kinabalu Courts Complex.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

GOF nabs four, seizes RM1.1mil worth of gold mining equipment
IIUM strips controversial academic of titles following April dismissal
Shift from 'sick care' to prevention to stop RM64bil NCD toll, says Dzulkefly
One dead, teen missing after being swept away in Keningau river
Timah Tasoh Dam hits critical level as Perlis prepares cloud-seeding
Man, 62, arrested for beating 80-year-old neighbor with steel rod in Penang
Umno will not enter PN pact in Melaka blindly, says Zahid
After Anwar's open invitation, Tian Chua hopes PKR will reinstate him as a member
10 undocumented migrants flee Tanah Merah Immigration Depot, says Police
90 heat-related illness cases reported so far this year, says Health Minister

Others Also Read