Asean ministers welcome Gaza peace efforts


KUALA LUMPUR: The Asean Foreign Ministers’ Meeting (AMM) has welcomed efforts to establish a cessation of violence in Gaza as part of a broader international initiative, while urging continued neutrality and unity amid rising global rivalries.

Foreign Minister Datuk Seri Mohamad Hasan, who chaired the AMM, said the regional bloc must remain a “beacon of ­neutrality and a safe harbour” amid intensifying geopolitical tensions.

“For two years, the world has witnessed the unspeakable ­suffering of Palestinians in Gaza – marked by devastating loss of life, mass displacement, and the ­erosion of hope and dignity,” he said in his opening remarks here yesterday.

“Asean welcomes efforts to establish a cessation of violence in Gaza as the first phase of President Donald Trump’s Comprehensive Plan to End the Gaza Conflict.

“This marks an important step forward, and we hope it will ultimately lead to the realisation of the Palestinian people’s right to self-determination and the establishment of a sovereign and independent state of Palestine.”

Mohamad also warned that the growing divisions worldwide would “cast a long shadow” over the region.

“As the international landscape becomes dominated by contestation rather than consensus, and divisions rather than dialogue, Asean finds itself at a crossroads.

“Our space for neutrality and centrality is narrowing – particularly in trade, technology and regional security. We must act as the speakers, not the spoken for,” he said.

Turning to regional issues, Mohamad reaffirmed Asean’s commitment to resolving the Myanmar crisis through dialogue and humanitarian action, stressing that “progress must be pursued with care, not force”.

“In a situation marked by decades of mistrust, reconciliation will not happen overnight.

“It must be a process led by the people of Myanmar and supported by Asean – a path grounded in trust, not coercion,” he said.

He added that addressing the crisis requires “a whole-of-region commitment to peace building”, citing Asean’s collective response to the deadly earthquake in Myanmar earlier this year.

On the South China Sea, Mohamad said Asean must adopt an “open, but firm and consolidated engagement” approach in safeguarding regional peace.

“As Asean country coordinator for China, Malaysia remains committed to advocating our collective interests, especially in advancing the Code of Conduct in the South China Sea,” he said, urging all parties to “embrace partnership, refrain from escalation, and respect international law”.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Mohd Khafiz latest Malaysian to conquer Mount Everest
King grants audience to Anwar after PM raises possibility of snap polls
Drug gangs busted with seizures worth RM17.8mil in KLIA, Ampang Jaya
Safety code for online takedown of child sexual abuse materials to be in force next month
AG, Public Prosecutor separation Bill to be re-tabled June 22, says Azalina
PKR can prove Rafizi and Nik Nazmi joined Bersama before vacating seats, says sec-gen
Three South Koreans plead not guilty to kidnapping, demanding nearly RM40mil ransom
Court to decide on Zizie Izette’s graft case on July 20
Job placement for registered refugees to help ease critical workforce issues, says Saifuddin
S'wak to teach Computer Science and Design in English from 2029

Others Also Read