Coroner’s Court grants leave to initiate proceedings against Shafie, influencer


KOTA KINABALU: The Coroner’s Court has granted leave for the prosecution to initiate contempt proceedings against Parti Warisan president Datuk Seri Mohd Shafie Apdal over remarks made during a speech that allegedly interfered with an ongoing inquest into the death of schoolgirl Zara Qairina Mahathir.

Sessions Court Judge Amir Shah Amir Hassan, who is sitting as Coroner, ruled that there was a prima facie case for contempt of court after hearing and reviewing the submissions by Deputy Public Prosecutors Mohamad Mustaffa P. Kunyalan and Nadia Mohd Izhar at the Kota Kinabalu courts here.

The court allowed the Attorney General’s application for leave under Order 52 of the Rules of Court 2012.

“After hearing the applicant’s submissions and examining the cause papers, the Coroner is satisfied that a prima facie case of contempt exists and grants the application for leave,” the coroner said.

The Coroner’s Court is expected to fix a hearing date for the full contempt proceedings.

Court documents will be formally served to Shafie and Mona Din within two weeks. The coroner is expected to set a hearing date once service is complete.

The court also allowed for contempt proceedings against social media influencer Che Muna Din over statements related to the inquest into the death of Zara Qairina.

The contempt application stems from remarks made by both individuals that allegedly prejudiced the integrity of the ongoing inquest.

Shafie’s comments were made during a public event and broadcast via Facebook Live, while Che Muna Din — also known as Mona Din — is alleged to have made similar statements on social media.

The contempt proceedings were from a speech by Shafie during the “Jelajah Inspirasi DSSA” event in Sabah’s east coast Kinabatangan district on Sept 20, 2025. It was broadcast live on Facebook.

In papers filed for the contempt proceedings, the prosecution claimed that Shafie's speech was undermining the public confidence in the administration of justice while also seen to be interfering with the ongoing Coroner's heating.

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

GOF nabs four, seizes RM1.1mil worth of gold mining equipment
IIUM strips controversial academic of titles following April dismissal
Shift from 'sick care' to prevention to stop RM64bil NCD toll, says Dzulkefly
One dead, teen missing after being swept away in Keningau river
Timah Tasoh Dam hits critical level as Perlis prepares cloud-seeding
Man, 62, arrested for beating 80-year-old neighbor with steel rod in Penang
Umno will not enter PN pact in Melaka blindly, says Zahid
After Anwar's open invitation, Tian Chua hopes PKR will reinstate him as a member
10 undocumented migrants flee Tanah Merah Immigration Depot, says Police
90 heat-related illness cases reported so far this year, says Health Minister

Others Also Read