Sabah recovers from floods, number of victims in Sarawak unchanged


KUALA LUMPUR: Sabah has fully recovered from floods that hit the stare but in Sarawak, the number of people affected remains unchanged as of 4pm on Monday (Sept 22).

The Sabah Disaster Management Committee said all flood victims have been allowed to return home after the Papar Community Hall, which had sheltered eight people from two families, was closed.

It reported that only landslide victims, comprising 82 people from 20 families, remain at the temporary relief centre in Kampung Gawir in the Penampang district.

Meanwhile, the Malaysian Meteorology Department warned of thunderstorms, heavy rain and strong winds in parts of Sabah on Monday evening and into the night.

The affected areas include Sipitang, Tenom, Beaufort, and Nabawan, as well as the West Coast (Papar) and Sandakan (Telupid, Kinabatangan, and Beluran).

The Sarawak Disaster Management Committee reported that the number of flood victims at the Dewan Suarah Marudi temporary relief centre in Miri had increased to 17 people from five families, up from 13 people from three families earlier on Monday morning.

According to the Irrigation and Drainage Department's Public Infor Banjir website, river levels at Long Teru and Marudi stations remain in the danger zone, even though there is no rain. – Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

King's breakfast stop at Johor R&R garners social media buzz
Malice and matrimony: Warisan rep wants probe into defamatory 'wedding invite'
Malaysia, Myanmar edge towards diplomatic reset after new leadership transition
Teacher claims trial to five counts of sexual offences against student, 14
Malaysia tightens Ebola watch after WHO global alert
Two new species found in Sarawak forest reserves
Anwar congratulates national team on 2026 Sepak Takraw World Cup Quadrant Event victory
Aggressive conduct towards media not part of Johor culture, says Aznan Tamin
Viral videos lead to arrest of six over suspected drug-laced vape sales
Malaysia calls for unhindered access to humanitarian assistance, says Health Minister

Others Also Read