MAF field hospital a lifeline for Myanmar quake victims


KUALA LUMPUR: The Malaysian Armed Forces' (MAF) Operation Starlight III in Myanmar's Sagaing region not only provided medical treatment but also restored hope to earthquake victims who had lost their homes, livelihoods and loved ones.

Amid the chaos of the disaster that crippled the country's healthcare system, the MAF medical team became a 'temporary lifeline' by setting up a fully equipped field hospital within 72 hours of arriving at the disaster site on April 18.

Joint Forces Headquarters Military Health Division (J9) health director Col Dr Ahmad Farhan Ahmad Fuad said the field hospital was built from barren land and was able to house 20 patient beds, an operating theatre, an outpatient ward, and two ICU beds.

"We brought anaesthetists, surgeons and plastic surgeons to perform reconstructive treatment. When we talk about trauma, it's not just about early treatment but also long-term recovery.

"So Operation Starlight III was not just a first response, but a more comprehensive mission," he told reporters after an interview session on Bernama TV's Apa Khabar Malaysia programme on Monday (Sept 1).

he nearly 50-day operation involved 69 officers and personnel with diverse expertise. In addition to medical staff, the MAF also deployed engineering and communications teams to ensure self-sustaining operations, including the provision of clean water, shelter and electricity in the affected areas.

Dr Ahmad Farhan said the biggest challenges were the short preparation time - only 72 hours before deployment - as well as safety factors and coordination with local health authorities.

"When receiving orders, we had to be mentally and physically prepared. At the time, Myanmar was unstable, so we needed accurate information about the location and patient demographics.

"Although we anticipated a high number of trauma cases, the situation changed because we arrived during the recovery phase. So the focus also shifted to supporting their crippled healthcare system," he said.

He added that the operation's success stemmed from experience in Operation Starlight I in Cox's Bazar, Bangladesh (2017-2019) and Operation Starlight II in Türkiye (2023), which had strengthened the MAF's capabilities over time.

"This time, we added engineering and communications elements that were not included previously. This made the operation more solid and organised," he said.

Besides providing direct impact to victims, the operation also enhanced Malaysia's image on the world stage, particularly in defence and humanitarian diplomacy.

"Malaysia is seen as a caring nation, capable of carrying out large-scale aid missions. As an MAF officer, I am proud to showcase the country's values and role internationally," he said.

On March 28, Myanmar was struck by two powerful earthquakes that caused massive casualties and destruction.

The first quake, with a magnitude of 7.7, hit Sagaing Region around 1pm local time, followed shortly after by a second quake of magnitude 6.4. Tremors were also felt as far as Chiang Mai, Bangkok and Ho Chi Minh City. - Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Cooperate on scams or face legal action, Fahmi tells Facebook
Tengku Mahkota orders MAF to seek Sultan’s consent for Pahang military drills
Two siblings feared drowned in Sungai Beril
Thunderstorms and heavy rain forecast for seven states until 5pm
Positive US-Iran talks signal hope, Malaysia ready to support Middle East peace efforts, says Anwar
RM4bil financial aid disbursed to MSMEs as of April, says Sim
Penang Sukma rugby player dies after collapsing during training
Planted reefs off Semporna destroyed in suspected fish bombing
Company director loses over RM167,000 to online loan scam
Body of missing 11-year-old boy found near NKVE in Damansara Damai

Others Also Read