Life in Segamat goes on as normal after quakes


SEGAMAT: Despite four earthquakes in a week, it’s business as usual with the folk in Segamat.

Food seller Ahmad Asri Talib, 52, said there was no damage to his eatery near Dataran Segamat, which continued to attract customers.

“While managing my business, I also keep up to date with the latest developments regarding the earthquake situation,” he told Bernama.

Fahrin Salihin, 38, of Taman Tasek Sejati in Buloh Kasap, who was met after taking part in a rehearsal for the district-level National Day parade here, said he felt two aftershocks at 7.57pm on Thursday and 4.25am yesterday.

He said when the tremor occurred yesterday, he had just completed his prayers.

“I stepped out of my house to observe what was going on,” he said, adding that the incidents would not dampen his enthu­siasm to participate in the National Day celebrations.

Tremor marks: Cracks seen on the walls at Kolej Komuniti Segamat 2 after the earthquake on Aug 24. — Bernama
Tremor marks: Cracks seen on the walls at Kolej Komuniti Segamat 2 after the earthquake on Aug 24. — Bernama

Checks around Segamat town found that shops and businesses were open as usual, with people out shopping and schools opera­ting normally, with traffic on the main roads also smooth.

No panic buying was observed at supermarkets or sundry shops, with food supplies and daily necessities reported to be stable.

A check on the Segamat district office Facebook page showed a poster on the district-level 68th National Day celebrations at Dataran Segamat, with no notice of cancellation. So far, no property damage or casualties have been reported as a result of the tremors, with security personnel and the relevant agencies continuing to monitor the situation to ensure public safety.

On Thursday, officials from the Engineering Seismology & Earthquake Engineering Research Group of Universiti Teknologi Malaysia and MetMalaysia visited the earthquake epicentre in Segamat.

The visit, which also involved rescue agencies and local autho­rities, was to assess the initial impact of the quake and prepared­ness levels in the affected areas.

Yesterday’s earthquake, about 22km northeast of Segamat at a depth of 10km, was the fifth tre­mor recorded in the state this week. Segamat and Yong Peng each felt a minor quake on Aug 24, while Segamat was struck by two more on Aug 27 and 28.

The tremors measured between 2.5 and 4.1 in magnitude.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Segamat , earthquake , tremors , residents , survey

Next In Nation

Duo remanded over misuse of public funds totalling RM800,000
Admission to public higher education remains based on SPM, says Zambry
MetMalaysia warns of thunderstorms in several states until 7pm (May 19)
Higher education outreach programme to be expanded nationwide, says Zambry
Terengganu water utility loses RM200mil annualy to non-revenue water
Study needed before any domestic violence act amendments, says Nancy
GSF 2.0: 10 vessels press on towards Gaza
Papagomo found liable for defaming Guan Eng and son
Malaysia needs future-ready immigration system to counter global threats, says Saifuddin
Report lodged over alleged press harassment at Pakatan convention, says Johor Media Club

Others Also Read