Arms smuggling ring: Ensure national security not compromised, PM directs Defence Ministry


PUTRAJAYA: Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim has directed the Defence Ministry to ensure that national security has not been compromised after the arrest of senior army officers by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC).

Government spokesperson and Communications Minister Datuk Fahmi Fadzil said this on Friday (Aug 22) during his weekly post-Cabinet briefing.

He was referring to the arrest of senior Armed Forces officers and journalists arrested by MACC in the Klang Valley recently, believed to have leaked military operation details to smugglers.

On Aug 16, MACC had stated that the leaked information was believed to have allowed illicit activities in southern Malaysian waters to proceed without interference from security and enforcement agencies.

Fahmi further stated that Anwar had raised his concerns over national security in the Cabinet meeting.

“As the investigation was initiated by the MACC, the investigation cannot be disrupted.

“However, the Prime Minister has directed the Defence Ministry to relook at the security aspects to ensure that security has not been compromised in any way. The investigation by MACC continues as is.

“The Defence Minister Datuk Seri Khaled Nordin has informed the Cabinet that an investigation is underway by the Ministry and a full report will be presented to the Cabinet once it has been completed,” said Fahmi.

On Aug 16, MACC announced that five military officers and two news portal journalists, themselves former military personnel, were remanded.

They were believed to have allowed illicit activities in southern Malaysian waters to proceed without interference from security and enforcement agencies.

Also remanded were a company manager, an administrative assistant from the Malaysian Medical Association and a foreign woman.

MACC chief commissioner Tan Sri Azam Baki said investigators have linked four companies to the smuggling of prohibited goods, including drugs, cigarettes and other contraband.

Azam said two premises belonging to one of the suspects were raided on Aug 14, with RM120,190 in cash found.

“The total cash seized so far stands at RM183,390. Fake firearms and drugs were also seized and handed over to the police for further investigation,” he added.

Authorities have frozen bank accounts belonging to 12 people, as well as 24 accounts linked to a company, amounting to RM155,609.77.

On another matter, Fahmi also said that the Prime Minister had also directed an investigation into the crashing of the F/A-18D Hornet fighter jet.

The two Royal Malaysian Air Force officers piloting the F/A-18D Hornet fighter jet successfully executed emergency ejection procedures before the aircraft crashed at Sultan Haji Ahmad Shah Airport (Kuantan Air Base) late Thursday (Aug 21) night.

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

RM1.7mil gone in 120 seconds: Robbers took only two minutes to rob Genting goldsmith
Forest fire breaks out near MAIS building in Shah Alam
Putting the rapid in RTS Link: Commuters can clear immigration in seconds, claims project director
Merdeka convoys must prioritise road safety, say police
Police obtain several leads in Seri Tambun shooting case
Man nabbed over threatening Facebook post, sword seized
‘No idea why I was dropped’: Former 1MDB CEO denies striking deal to have name removed from US$5.64bil suit
Increase Budi Diesel quota to 500 litres for Sabahans, urges state PKR Youth
Appeals court upholds RM3.4mil order against former Mara Corp group CEO
Sarawak’s sovereign data platform to strengthen AI capabilities, says Abang Jo

Others Also Read