Drones target office of Iraqi Kurdistan's PM, no casualties reported


Aug 17 (Reuters) - Two drones ⁠targeted the office of the Kurdistan Regional Government's prime minister ⁠in northern Iraq on Monday but there were no ‌reports of any casualties, the KRG security agency said.

The attack was launched from Iranian territory, it said in a statement, without clarifying whether the drones had hit their ​target. There was no immediate claim of ⁠responsibility from any group ⁠for the attack.

Iran and Iran-backed armed groups have repeatedly accused Iraq's semi-autonomous ⁠Kurdistan ‌region of harbouring Iranian Kurdish opposition groups that Tehran regards as a security threat. Iraqi Kurdish authorities deny allowing ⁠their territory to be used to threaten neighbouring ​countries.

"I condemn these ‌reckless and unacceptable attacks in the strongest terms," Prime Minister ⁠Masrour Barzani said ​on X, describing them as a dangerous escalation and a direct threat to the region's security and stability.

Barzani said his personal office and the ⁠home of the head of the region's ​Security and Intelligence Agency had been targeted, citing an investigation by the Kurdistan Counter Terrorism Unit.

Iraq's Kurdistan region has been repeatedly targeted by ⁠drones and rockets. A four-day wave of drone attacks on its oilfields in July 2025 halted nearly half of the region's crude production, with security officials pointing to Iran-backed militias as the likely perpetrators.

In ​April 2024, a drone attack on the ⁠Khor Mor gas field, one of the largest in the Kurdistan region, ​killed four Yemeni workers, injured two ‌others and forced the suspension of gas ​supplies to regional power plants.

(Reporting by Ahmed Rasheed; Writing by Tala Ramadan; Editing by Michael Georgy and Gareth Jones)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Others Also Read