PM Anwar condemns attack on Rafizi’s family


KUALA LUMPUR: Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim has condemned the attack on the son of former Economy Minister Datuk Seri Rafizi Ramli as a 'worrying and harmful' trend in the country.

Anwar affirmed that a thorough and transparent investigation into the incident will be carried out.

"I would like to express my sadness as we're seeing an extreme and harmful culture. We are seeing issues of bullying, and now the child of a Member of Parliament has been targeted.

"I have contacted the Home Minister (Datuk Seri Saifuddin Nasution Ismail) and the Inspector-General of Police (Datuk Seri Mohd Khalid Ismail) to ensure a thorough, quick and transparent investigation, not just in their action but also stopping this worrying culture," he said during the Minister's Question Time in the Dewan Rakyat on Thursday (Aug 14).

Rafizi’s family was the target of a planned attack after his son was jabbed with a syringe by an unidentified assailant in a Putrajaya shopping centre car park on Wednesday afternoon.

Rafizi described it as the first time his family had been targeted in such an attack and alleged it was intended as “a warning to me not to speak out on certain issues”.

“While I will take steps to enhance security measures, I will not bow to any threats and will continue to carry out my duties as usual,” he added.

 

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Escaped Immigration detainees easily identifiable with bright green uniforms, shaved heads
Indonesian police arrest 72 people suspected of starting forest fires
Immigration truck crash: 'I have to be strong for my mother'
No guerrilla incursion into Kelantan following south Thai attacks, says GOF
Second boy found drowned, search operation in Keningau ends
Almost RM730mil spent on welfare aid for seniors, OKU, chronically ill this year
Sabah eyes promoting fishing as an international niche sports tourism product
Police issue 75 summonses, seize 31 bikes in anti-illegal racing ops on Second Link
Four nabbed, 3.4 tonnes of cooking oil seized in raid on smuggling ring in Terengganu
Pedestrian killed crossing SPRINT Highway near Damansara toll

Others Also Read