Psychology consultant loses over RM260,000 to lottery scam syndicate


TANGKAK: A freelance psychological consultant lost over RM260,000 after being duped by a scam syndicate offering fake online lottery cash prizes.

Tangkak OCPD Supt Roslan Mohd Talib said the 58-year-old woman was tricked after receiving a WhatsApp message offering lottery winnings worth RM1.5mil, allegedly from a temple.

“The victim then made 20 transactions, transferring a total of RM261,640 of her savings into a mule account between May 31 and Aug 8,” he said in a statement on Wednesday (Aug 13).

The victim realised she had been deceived after discussing the matter with her sibling and subsequently lodged a police report on Tuesday (Aug 12).

The case is being investigated under Section 420 of the Penal Code for cheating, which carries a maximum jail term of 10 years, whipping and a fine upon conviction.

“The public is advised to remain vigilant and not fall for online lottery cash prize scams. Always verify such offers beforehand to avoid becoming a victim,” said Roslan.

He also urged the public to stay updated on the latest scam-related information through the Commercial Crime Investigation Department’s social media platforms such as Facebook, Instagram and TikTok.

Those who have fallen victim to scams should contact the National Scam Response Centre at 997 immediately to block the outflow of funds from the suspect’s account.

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

RM4bil financial aid disbursed to MSMEs as of April, says Sim
Penang Sukma rugby player dies after collapsing during training
Planted reefs off Semporna destroyed in suspected fish bombing
Company director loses over RM167,000 to online loan scam
Body of missing 11-year-old boy found near NKVE in Damansara Damai
Thousands flock to Star Education Fair 2026
Malaysia, Slovakia move to deepen cooperation with embassy reopening
Soldier charged with abusing son
PKR leaders must explain their presence at Bersama event, says PKR Youth chief
Alleged sexual misconduct case involving teacher in Setiu under probe

Others Also Read