Ceasefire not merely a pause but a promise to protect lives, says Home Minister after Thailand-Cambodia GBC meet


KUALA LUMPUR: Ceasefire is not merely a pause but a promise to protect lives, Home Minister Datuk Seri Saifuddin Nasution Ismail says.

“That promise must be honoured with firm commitments, effective monitoring and sincere political will from both sides. We are proud that both sides have given this commitment through these meetings thoroughly the last few days.

“In Asean, we believe in resolving disputes through consensus, non-confrontation, trust, mutual respect and the spirit of non-interference. This spirit has guided us today and will continue to do so in the journey ahead,” he said after the conclusion of the extraordinary meeting of the Cambodia-Thailand General Border Committee (GBC) in Wisma Perwira here on Thursday (Aug 7).

Earlier in the day, acting Thailand Defence Minister General Nattaphon Narkphanit said that the meetings were “an important step” towards peace.

"I think what we've seen today is an important step, and that is that the senior representatives from both sides, using an existing bilateral mechanism, the GBC, have met and have recommitted to the ceasefire agreement that was reached on July 28th in Putujaya under the leadership of Prime Minister Anwar and with the Prime Minister of Cambodia and the acting Prime Minister of Thailand.

“The goal here is a sustainable and durable ceasefire, that is one that is able to be accepted and enforced by both sides.

“There are mechanisms that are being put in place, and we believe those mechanisms are very important to ensure monitoring of this.

“But more importantly, we believe that what we've seen here is a sign that both governments have recommitted themselves to this, and the United States will be watching very closely to ensure that governments remain committed to a ceasefire,” he said in a statement.

His counterpart Cambodian Defence Minister General Tea Seiha said in a prepared statement that reaffirms the commitment to “fully and faithfully” implement the understandings reached during the meeting on July 28.

“Particularly the ceasefire agreement and the establishment of a Asean Observer Team led by Malaysia. This mechanism is of great importance to ensure a sustained and accountable ceasefire,” he said.

Both Cambodia and Thailand also thanked Malaysia for facilitating the meetings and the United States' and China’s roles as observers.

Thailand and Cambodia agreed to implement a ceasefire effective midnight on July 28 through a special meeting in Malaysia chaired by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim, that brought both Southeast Asian neighbours to the negotiating table following heightened tensions.

Tensions between the two countries peaked on May 28 when fighting broke out in the disputed Preah Vihear area, resulting in the death of a Cambodian soldier.

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Pangolin still in danger despite reduced threat in Sabah
Economic opportunities for Penang predicted to prosper mid-2026
Trump hikes US global tariff rate to 15%
Langkawi waves claim life of Shanghai man
Broader statutory body to oversee premium crops
Easing financial hardships�
Perikatan faces leadership test
Displaced families seek refuge as rains continue
Flood response in full swing
Hunt on for trio alleged to have hypnotised, cheated woman

Others Also Read