Cabinet yet to receive official memo on US ambassador pick, says Fahmi


PUTRAJAYA: The Cabinet has yet to receive an official memorandum from Wisma Putra regarding the reported nomination of conservative commentator and author, Nick Adams, as the next US Ambassador to Malaysia, says the Madani government spokesperson, Datuk Fahmi Fadzil.

Fahmi, who is also the Communications Minister, said that in such matters, it is standard procedure for the Cabinet to receive a formal memorandum from the Foreign Ministry on any new ambassadorial or diplomatic appointment to Malaysia.

"As of now, the matter has not been brought to the Cabinet’s attention. It may be presented once we receive further updates, but at this point, it has yet to reach the Cabinet,” he told reporters after presenting appointment letters to the founding board members of the Malaysian Media Council on Tuesday (July 15).

Asked whether Malaysia has the right to reject Adams’ appointment, Fahmi pointed to diplomatic norms.

"In diplomacy, there is a concept known as ‘agrément’, where the host country must first accept the nominee. The same applies in reverse - when Malaysia appoints its envoys abroad, approval from the host nation is also required,” he explained.

International media previously reported that US President Donald Trump had nominated Nick Adams, an Australian-born conservative political commentator who is now a US citizen, to serve as US Ambassador to Malaysia.

The nomination has sparked debate, with former health minister Khairy Jamaluddin stating that Malaysia has every right to reject Adams’ appointment, citing Article 4 of the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations, which stipulates that a receiving state may refuse any diplomatic envoy without having to justify.

Under diplomatic protocol, no country may send an ambassador without the host nation’s prior consent, which is a key principle in international relations.- Bernama

 

 

 

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

KL police launch bullying probe into 14-year-old female student's death
Malaysian detained in Pakistan scam call centre raid released, returns home
Man suffers burns in Semporna hotel restaurant fire
Activists push for nationwide independent bloc ahead of GE
Fear of heights freezes two men on 14th-floor ledge before firefighters intervene
Six new Sembulan–Kinarut railway halts to open in October
Johor International Book Bazaar aims for 500,000 visitors, says exco
Police step up patrols after two gold shop robberies in Pahang
Malaysia, Brunei agree to use Asean mechanism to tackle transboundary haze
Education Ministry approves RM2mil for immediate repairs for collapsed SMK Juasseh roof

Others Also Read