JELI: The five Malaysian students who have chosen to remain in Iran will continue to be monitored by the Higher Education Ministry, says Datuk Seri Zambry Abdul Kadir (pic).
“The government has offered support and expressed its willingness to help them return if they choose to,” said the Higher Education Minister, Bernama reported.
“We will continue to monitor their situation closely, wherever they are, to ensure their safety,” he told reporters after opening the Jeli Umno division meeting here.
Previously, Foreign Minister Datuk Seri Mohamad Hasan confirmed only five Malaysians remained in Iran by choice.
All five had signed letters of undertaking to stay in the country, despite the government’s earlier advisory urging Malaysians to leave amid tit-for-tat air strikes between Iran and Israel.
On June 23, the Malaysian government brought back a total of 24 individuals who arrived safely at the KL International Airport from Iran on Malaysia Airlines flight MH781.
They comprised 17 Malaysians, six Iranian dependents of Malaysian citizens and one Singaporean national.
Meanwhile, Zambry said all students who survived the Universiti Pendidikan Sultan Idris crash on June 9 have been discharged from hospital.
