GOF seizes over RM8mil worth of fireworks in Penang


BUTTERWORTH: The General Operations Force (GOF) has seized 9,053 boxes of fireworks worth RM8.16mil and detained a man during a raid on a warehouse in the Seberang Prai Tengah industrial area.

GOF Northern Brigade Commander SAC Shahrum Hashim said the operation was led by the Task Force of Company C, Battalion 1, GOF Bukit Kayu Hitam, after the warehouse was found to be storing the items without valid permits.

"A local man was detained at the scene and we prevented the illegal stockpiling of fireworks, which posed a serious safety hazard," he said in a statement on Tuesday (June 17).

Preliminary investigations revealed that the firecrackers had been transported from Port Klang, Selangor and were intended for distribution across northern Peninsular Malaysia.

The case is being investigated under Section 135(1)(d) of the Customs Act 1967 and Section 8 of the Explosives Act 1957. – Bernama

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Seberang Prai Tengah , GOF , Explosives , Fireworks

Next In Nation

MCA open to work with ex-Bersatu members
Pangolin still in danger despite reduced threat in Sabah
Economic opportunities for Penang predicted to prosper mid-2026
Langkawi waves claim life of Shanghai man
Broader statutory body to oversee premium crops
Easing financial hardships�
Perikatan faces leadership test
Displaced families seek refuge as rains continue
Flood response in full swing
Hunt on for trio alleged to have hypnotised, cheated woman

Others Also Read