Fahmi Reza barred from leaving country, ‘thanks’ cops for unforgettable birthday gift


IPOH: Controversial graphic artist and activist Fahmi Reza claims that he has been barred from travelling abroad.

In a post shared on his Facebook page on Saturday (June 7), the 47-year-old said Immigration officers at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport had stopped him earlier in the day before his 9.35am flight to Singapore.

Fahmi said he had made plans to fly to Singapore to watch a concert.

"Today, I was barred from going overseas by the government. Two of my favourite punk bands Slant from South Korea and Sial from Singapore are playing in Singapore.

"It has been quite some time since I wanted to watch both bands play live. I bought a flight ticket, planned for a two-day, one-night trip in Singapore and was prepared to stay at a friend's place there," he added.

The latest travel ban for Fahmi came after he was denied entry into Sabah on May 29.

Fahmi, whose birthday is today, believed that the travel ban imposed on him was due to his artwork that criticised the appointment of Tun Musa Aman as Sabah's Yang di-Pertua Negeri (TYT).

He had in late 2024 got into trouble with the authorities for insulting the then incoming 11th TYT, depicting Musa in a caricature deemed offensive by the Keningau Native Court.

Fahmi also said that he was made to wait in the Immigration office and also to print out his travelling documents on his own.

"After about half an hour, the immigration officer asked for my passport and MyKad to be photocopied.

"He also asked for my boarding pass and flight tickets, which I showed from my mobile phone but he insisted on checking the printed version," he said.

"Even though the office has a printer and photocopier, I was told to find another place to print (the travel documents).

"At that time, there was only 10 minutes left before boarding time and 30 minutes before the gates closed," he said.

"I rushed out of the Immigration office to look for a printer and fortunately, an airport staff was able to help and brought me to the Sama-Sama Express Hotel on a buggy to print the travel documents," he added.

Fahmi said as he went back to the Immigration office to submit the documents, he was informed that Bukit Aman (police) had barred him from travelling abroad.

"I asked for a reason and was told to ask the police. I was then escorted out of the departure hall. What did I do wrong? Only the police and the government can answer,” he added

 

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Fahmi Reza , Denied , International , Travels , Ban , KLIA , Singapore , Artist , artist

Next In Nation

Seven-day remand for man suspected of setting woman on fire
Budget 2027: Penang urges govt to commit to establishing new financial centre
Kelantan Customs seizes nearly 2 million sticks of smuggled cigarettes
Fuel prices Aug 20-26: Unsubsidised petrol, diesel prices all up 10-20sen
Govt has final say on SC oversight of Tabung Haji, says chairman
Immigration lorry hit by car just before fatal crash, say cops
Former 1MDB CEO denies deal with late Sri Ram to testify in favour of company
Suing ex-MACC chief, AG not an act of revenge, says Shahrir
Bersama’s Ayer Keroh candidate draws on multicultural roots to reach voters
Immigration lorry crash: Family calls for answers, transparent probe

Others Also Read