PUTRAJAYA: AI-generated lung health screenings are being carried out for targeted groups at seven health clinics nationwide, says Health Minister Datuk Seri Dr Dzulkefly Ahmad.
Among the health clinics offering such screenings are Kok Lanas Health Clinic (Kelantan), Kajang Health Clinic (Selangor), Beserah Health Clinic (Pahang), Seberang Perai Health Clinic (Penang) and Pendang Health Clinic (Kedah).
According to Dzulkefly, the implementation cost is deemed affordable.
“We will see a return on investment, which is not a large sum – just RM70,000 for seven clinics – and it is well worth it as the infections can be detected early,” he said at a media briefing on the National Lung Health Initiative 2025-2030 here yesterday, Bernama reported.
The Health Ministry has introduced AI-powered lung health screening to detect lung-related diseases among Malaysians at an early stage.
It is one of the key efforts in the National Lung Health Initiative 2025-2030 that the ministry has launched to strengthen prevention, screening and treatment for lung diseases.
Dzulkefly said the use of AI in screening can result in greater effectiveness and accuracy compared with the conventional X-Ray.
“With this AI capability, the detection rate is significantly improved.”
He added that the initiative represents a novel approach, integrating the control of communicable and non-communicable diseases and their risk factors.
“Lung diseases in Malaysia encompass both non-communicable and communicable diseases. It includes lung cancer, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, asthma and respiratory infections such as pneumonia, tuberculosis, Covid-19 and influenza.”
Dzulkefly said the new approach would also focus on key risk factors, including smoking, exposure to environmental pollution and workplace-related factors.
The programme will combine the holistic efforts of various sectors, including the government, private sector, NGOs and professional bodies.
Dzulkefly also said that Malaysia will present the Lung Health Initiative resolution at the 78th World Health Assembly (WHA) in Geneva, Switzerland, this month.
He said the country has so far received support from 14 countries, including Russia and China.
Dzulkefly expressed hope that the resolution will win wide approval at the WHA, which will be held from May 19 to 27.
Separately, he said compliance with the Price Control and Anti-Profiteering (Price Marking for Drug) Order 2025, which came into effect on May 1, has been satisfactory.
The Health Minister reiterated that private healthcare facilities and pharmacies will not face fines or compounds during the initial three-month period if they fail to display the prices of medicines, as the ministry is currently focusing on the education aspect.
“The three-month grace period is intended to give all quarters time to better understand the requirements and how to properly implement the price display measures.
“During recent visits to three pharmacies and private clinics, I was shown various methods being used, including via QR codes,” he said.
Dzulkefly expressed hope that all private healthcare facilities would work together with the ministry to ensure the successful implementation of the order.
“I believe everyone will eventually be on board. We will also engage with general practitioners to assist with compliance.”
Under the order, all private healthcare facilities and community pharmacies must clearly display the prices of medicines sold, either on shelves, in catalogues or in written price lists.
Regarding the ban on vape product sales in Terengganu, Dzulkefly said he welcomed the move. He said the ministry would continue to strengthen the enforcement and regulation of electronic cigarettes and vape products under the Control of Smoking Products for Public Health Act 2024.
According to reports, the Terengganu government will enforce the statewide ban on vape product sales starting Aug 1.
