PETALING JAYA: An anti-vice raid led to the rescue of 10 victims who were believed to have been exploited for sex.
Immigration Department director-general Datuk Zakaria Shaaban said the raid was conducted at a spa and massage centre in Johor Baru on Friday.
“Inspection on the premises led to the arrest of 37 Vietnamese and 16 Indonesian women, aged between 18 and 40.
“They were suspected to have been involved in prostitution with their customers using WeChat and WhatsApp.
“The suspects were believed to have been reaping in between RM5,000 and RM10,000 in a month from their immoral activities,” he said in a statement.
The raid also saw the arrest of 11 Indonesian and Bangladeshi men who were believed to be working as cleaning staff.
Seven local men who acted as caretakers and premise owners were also nabbed.
During the raid, several suspects attempted to hide inside a hidden room but failed.
A total of RM128,464 in cash was also seized.
The operation also identified exploited victims via the National Guidelines on Human Trafficking Indicators.
“Investigations showed that 10 women who had been exploited to offer sexual services, were underage and were not paid any wages. Their passports were also held to restrict their movements.
“They have been placed in a safe house pending investigations,” Zakaria said, adding that other suspects were sent to Immigration depots.
Meanwhile, a suspect identified as the “captain” of the establishment, is currently being investigated under the Anti-Trafficking in Persons and Anti-Smuggling of Migrants Act 2007, the Passport Act 1966 and the Immigration Act 1959/63.
