Ismail Sabri questioned by MACC for seven hours


PUTRAJAYA: Former Prime Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob spent about seven hours being questioned by graft busters on Thursday (April 24).

The Bera MP left the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) headquarters at about 6.10pm after arriving at about 11am.

His vehicle was escorted by police outriders.

Ismail Sabri did not speak to the media, but instead waved at them.

Previously, MACC chief commissioner Tan Sri Azam Baki said the latest round of questioning would focus on Ismail Sabri's asset declaration,  which was done under Section 36 (1) of the MACC Act 2009.

Azam stated that the first phase of the investigation into the former prime minister had been completed, and they were now moving on to the next phase.

Ismail Sabri last recorded his statement at the MACC headquarters in Putrajaya on March 24, as part of an investigation into corruption and money laundering related to the expenditure and acquisition of funds for the promotion and publicity of the Keluarga Malaysia programme during his tenure as prime minister from August 2021 to November 2022.

The case was being investigated under the MACC Act 2009 and the Anti-Money Laundering, Anti-Terrorism Financing and Proceeds of Unlawful Activities Act 2001.

On March 3, Azam said Ismail Sabri is a suspect in the case following the discovery of approximately RM170mil in cash at a "safe house" during a raid.

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Johor MACC committed to working closely with state govt to enhance good governance, strengthen integrity
PAS to discuss Opposition Leader position on Feb 22, says Hadi
Anwar seeks swift passage of Bill limiting PM to two terms
Police seek public help to locate Myanmar teen missing since Jan 31
Police inspector recharged with failing to arrest suspect under Arms Act
Unemployed man charged with murder ordered to undergo psychiatric assessment
Over 37 tonnes of e-waste seized in Port Klang by AKPS
Over 350 landowners appeal Penang’s revised land tax, says Chow
Sabah floods: Victims told to prioritise safety as Paitan, Kota Marudu, Pitas declared disaster zones
Microsleep accounts for 20% of road accidents, says Miros

Others Also Read