No injustice in Razman’s suspension, offenders must face the music, says Perak MB


IPOH: It is only fair for an offender to be punished and not cry foul about it, says Datuk Seri Saarani Mohamad in reaction to Gunung Semanggol assemblyman Razman Zakaria's suspension.

The Perak Mentri Besar said certain actions are clearly prohibited in the state assembly, as outlined in the Standing Orders.

"We can debate and discuss, but there are limits. We must not incite or insult," he told a press conference on Wednesday (April 16).

Earlier in the day, Gunung Semanggol assemblyman Razman Zakaria was handed a six-month suspension, effective immediately.

He had been referred to the state assembly's Rights and Privileges Committee on December 4 last year over allegations and remarks deemed racist and offensive.

The remarks were linked to an incident in October last year involving the public display of Chinese flags during a cultural event.

Razman had claimed the flags were flown by Malaysian-Chinese, though it was later revealed they were carried by Chinese nationals.

He also accused Kepayang assemblyman Nga Kor Ming and Pasir Bedamar assemblyman Woo Kah Leong of involvement in the event.

Razman has since apologised to both Nga and Woo.

Razman argued the suspension motion was unfair, citing a lack of balance in the committee, which consisted of five government assemblymen and three from the opposition, giving him no opportunity to contest the decision.

Commenting on Razman’s intention to use the suspension issue as campaign material in the Ayer Kuning by-election, Saarani said the government would respond accordingly.

"If that is his narrative, we have our own. I will explain the nature of his offence to the voters. No one has been wronged here," he said.

On a separate note, Saarani said they would consult with Barisan Nasional’s candidate to see if he plans to present his own manifesto.

"Manifestos are usually crafted by policymakers, and we already have one at the state level. But we’ll check if he has specific plans for the constituency," he added.

Parti Sosialis Malaysia candidate KS Bawani has already unveiled her manifesto on Tuesday (April 15).

The by-election, set for April 26, was called following the death of incumbent Ishsam Shahruddin, 58, on Feb 22.

Barisan's Dr Mohamad Yusri Bakir is contesting the seat against Perikatan Nasional’s Abd Muhaimin Malek and Bawani.

In the 2022 General Election, Ishsam won with 9,088 votes, securing a majority of 2,213 over Amanah’s Mohd Nazri Hashim, PAS’ Muhammad Noor Farid, Pejuang’s Maziah Salim, and Bawani.

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Over 1,000 displaced as floods worsen in Sabah’s north, Pitas emerges as worst-hit
'Don't shoot the messenger', says Nurul Izzah in urging authorities to probe allegations into MACC chief's alleged shareholdings
Anwar holds talks with Singapore PM Lawrence Wong
ROS refutes allegations of power abuse by MIPP
Cops on the hunt for duo who broke into Sitiawan mosque, stole from donation boxes
116 Bazaar Ramadan Rahmah to be held this year, says Fuziah
Malaysia looks forward to close cooperation with new Bangladesh leadership, says Anwar
More than a gimmick, 'roti pocong' a hit at Paroi Ramadan bazaar
Melaka assembly may dissolve in April, state poll expected in June
Plight of two families in Banting fire draws Anwar's attention

Others Also Read