MBI Ponzi scheme: More arrests to come, says cop


PETALING JAYA: The Royal Malaysia Police has confirmed that there will be several more arrests in the near future following the uncovering of a fraudulent investment scheme based on the Ponzi concept known as the MBI Investment Scheme.

Head of Bukit Aman’s Anti-Money Laundering Crime Investigation Team (AMLA), Datuk Muhammed Hasbullah Ali, stated that ongoing investigations and intelligence gathering have led to new evidence believed to implicate more individuals connected to the syndicate.

“In the aftermath of earlier arrests, we have uncovered new evidence through intelligence and up-to-date information obtained via close cooperation with foreign enforcement agencies.

“Through the raids conducted, we found more material evidence that strengthens our investigation, and we do not rule out the possibility of further arrests soon,” he said when contacted by Sinar Harian on Saturday (April 12).

He added that investigations revealed the MBI investment scheme had been in operation for several years and was among the most active cross-border fraudulent investment syndicates.

According to him, many victims only began lodging police reports after realising their investments were yielding no returns and started to notice elements of organised and systematic deception behind the scheme.

Meanwhile, Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Razarudin Husain previously confirmed in a statement that eight local individuals – including two entrepreneurs with the title “Datuk,” two lawyers, and one woman aged between 44 and 62 – had been arrested during Ops Northern Star, which was launched on March 20.

The arrests, he said, were the result of in-depth investigations by the AMLA unit in collaboration with Interpol, which has issued red notices against several individuals linked to the investment scheme.

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Escaped Immigration detainees easily identifiable with bright green uniforms, shaved heads
Indonesian police arrest 72 people suspected of starting forest fires
Immigration truck crash: 'I have to be strong for my mother'
No guerrilla incursion into Kelantan following south Thai attacks, says GOF
Second boy found drowned, search operation in Keningau ends
Almost RM730mil spent on welfare aid for seniors, OKU, chronically ill this year
Sabah eyes promoting fishing as an international niche sports tourism product
Police issue 75 summonses, seize 31 bikes in anti-illegal racing ops on Second Link
Four nabbed, 3.4 tonnes of cooking oil seized in raid on smuggling ring in Terengganu
Pedestrian killed crossing SPRINT Highway near Damansara toll

Others Also Read