Major gas supply crisis


SUBANG JAYA: Power stations and some 8,000 residential and commercial premises, including 300 factories, are affected by the natural gas supply disruption following the gas pipeline fire at Putra Heights last week.

Selangor infrastructure and agriculture committee chairman Datuk Izham Hashim said 330 million cubic feet of gas is needed daily for the affected areas.

“200 million cubic feet of gas is needed for the power stations, while 130 million cubic feet is for the remaining areas.

“We will discuss with Gas Malaysia and PETRONAS to see how we can minimise the impact on the affected areas,” he told a press conference at the incident operation centre yesterday.

He said the four affected power stations are the Connaught Bridge Power Station, the Pulau Indah Power Station, the Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz (KEV) Power Station and the Putrajaya Power Station.

“However, one of the stations can alternate between gas and coal while another can alternate between gas and oil,” he said.

On another matter, Izham said power and telecommunication services will be fully restored in houses affected by the Putra Heights gas pipeline fire by Friday.

“It will involve all houses except for the ones severely damaged by the fire.

“The respective utilities providers have given assurance that power and telecommunications, including Unifi service, will be resolved by Friday,” he said. 

He added that power and telecommunication services could not be restored to those houses where the wiring and other infrastructure were damaged.

“The investigation into the cause of the fire is still ongoing.

“The Selangor Mentri Besar will announce once we receive conclusive findings,” he said.

Comprehensive measures to improve the safety of the gas pipeline could only be implemented once the cause of the fire has been determined, he added.

“Our ultimate goal is to ensure such an incident does not recur.

“However, the investigation will take time as it involves various aspects,” he said.

Selangor Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Amirudin Shari had earlier said that the technical investigation into the gas pipeline fire will only start on April 15 after the ground at the site has stabilised.

Amirudin added that work to strengthen and stabilise the site commenced on Monday.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
natural gas , supply , Putra Heights

Next In Nation

Domestic Trade Ministry mobilises 2,400 enforcement officers for Ops Pantau 2026
Floods: 245 evacuated in Tawau
MCA open to work with ex-Bersatu members
Pangolin still in danger despite reduced threat in Sabah
Economic opportunities for Penang predicted to prosper mid-2026
Broader statutory body to oversee premium crops
Shattered dreams behind the bridal veil
Easing financial hardships�
Displaced families seek refuge as rains continue
Flood response in full swing

Others Also Read