Appeals court dismisses review bid by real estate consultant, family over RM3.2mil asset forfeiture


PUTRAJAYA: Real estate consultant Amir Shariffuddin Abd Raub and his family have lost their bid to review the previous appellate court's decision over the forfeiture of RM3.2mil in assets.

A three-judge panel of the Court of Appeal, comprising Justices Datuk Hashim Hamzah, Datuk Wong Kian Kheong and Datuk Noorin Badaruddin, on Wednesday (March 26) unanimously dismissed the review application brought by the applicants - Amir Shariffuddin, his family and the company JLA Motorsport Sdn Bhd.

In delivering the court's decision, Justice Hashim said a review application could only be made under exceptional circumstances, such as a breach of the rules of natural justice or a coram failure in the previous Court of Appeal panel.

He said the applicants in the present case could not base their review on the merits of the appeal, as it had already been conclusively decided by the previous Court of Appeal panel.

On July 17, 2024, the Court of Appeal’s previous panel upheld the forfeiture of assets worth more than RM3.2mil, including cars, jewellery, handbags, watches, and foreign and local currency from several individuals and companies, including the applicants.

The other individuals involved were former Johor executive council member Datuk Abdul Latif Bandi, his son Mohd Fauzan Hatim and daughter-in-law, and two companies - Wash N Chill Enterprise and Alaf Pentawaris Sdn Bhd.

They initially filed for a review of the Court of Appeal's decision on July 17, 2024, but later withdrew their application.

On May 27, 2019, the Sessions Court dismissed the prosecution's forfeiture application, ordering the seized properties to be returned to their owners. However, the High Court overturned this decision on Dec 19, 2021.

The High Court had ruled that the prosecution had proven the assets involved were obtained from illegal proceeds, thus ordering the forfeiture of the assets belonging to the individuals and companies.

Abdul Latif, his son and Amir Shariffudin were acquitted and discharged by the Sessions Court in Johor in 2022 on corruption and money laundering charges. In 2023, the High Court upheld their acquittals.

The prosecution withdrew its appeal against the acquittal of Abdul Latif but continued proceedings against Mohd Fauzan and Amir Shariffudin. The prosecution subsequently accepted Mohd Fauzan's representation for the prosecution to withdraw the appeal.

In today's proceedings, lawyer Abd Rahim Ali represented the applicants, while deputy public prosecutors Datuk Wan Shaharuddin Wan Ladin, Muhammad Asraf Mohamed and Zander Lim Wai Keong appeared for the prosecution. - Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Illegal gold mining threatens lives, environment, says Kelantan MB
Smart campus tech framework to drive UKKM development, says Sim
Kota Baru man found dead in bathroom
GSF 2.0: All 428 activists released, Malaysians expected home on May 24
Royal decree should be viewed as guidance, not political interference, says Tengku Zafrul
Man found dead in pool of blood outside Pekan Nenas restaurant
Federal Highway motorcycle lane upgrade to be done in August
Gold mining tragedy in Jeli leaves pregnant mother of four widowed
Jakoa denies restricting entry of outsiders into Orang Asli villages
Zara Qairina inquest: Perceived child-parent conflict not direct factor in death, says psychiatrist

Others Also Read