Sabah Barisan not going solo in state polls, says Bung


KOTA KINABALU: Sabah Barisan Nasional will not contest the coming state election on its own and is prepared to work with other parties if seat arrangements are agreeable, says Datuk Seri Bung Moktar Radin.

"Umno and Barisan are not likely to go solo, but we will ensure that we are always on a good platform, namely that we are prepared (in all aspects) of our machinery to face the election.

"This is because Umno wants to ensure that Barisan remains the dominant party (in any pact)," said the state Umno and Barisan chairman.

He said Sabah Umno has identified the seats to contest and would talk to other parties keen to forge a political alliance.

"People no longer look at who our friends are... they are looking at the party and candidate that can bring a wave of change to them," he told reporters after attending an Umno Zone 2 iftar event here on Sunday (March 16).

However, he declined to name the parties Sabah Umno was in talks with, merely saying that the party is on the right track to face the election.

"I just want to state that Umno will not (team with) a party that has betrayed us," he said.

Asked about the decision by Parti Warisan and Parti KDM to contest the coming state election on their own, he said: "We respect the decision of any party that wants to contest solo and they need to prove they are capable of going it alone... in an election, many things can happen."

Asked how many Sabah Barisan incumbents would be retained, he said no final decision had been reached.

"We have met regarding seat distribution, but discussions have yet to be finalised by the Barisan supreme council," he added.

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Flood situation worsens in northern Sabah as evacuees rise to 4,761
TB outbreak: Johor Ramadan bazaar SOPs unchanged, says exco rep
Bersatu crisis: Raub, Lipis divisions dissolved today
Smooth traffic reported on several main highways as at 9.40pm
Health Ministry accelerates efforts to strengthen food safety control to achieve target by 2030
Pahang Sultan, Tengku Ampuan express sadness, sympathy at Trooper Indiran's death
Perak urges use of reusable bags ahead of ban on single-use plastics
Ramadan bazaars: A beloved annual tradition for Malaysians
Bersatu appoints new task force to restructure divisions, wings
Madani govt component parties must strengthen cohesion to realise people's mandate, says Zaliha

Others Also Read