Over 3,000kg chicken seized in raids on two slaughterhouses


Photo: Bernama

CHERAS: The Domestic Trade and Cost of Living Ministry and the Malaysian Islamic Development Department (Jakim) have raided two illegal chicken slaughtering premises in Cheras early Thursday (March 13), uncovering unhygienic conditions.

In the 1am operation, enforcement officers discovered chicken placed directly on the floor in filthy and unsanitary conditions, leading to the seizure of over 3,000kg of poultry valued at about RM28,000.

The ministry’s Kuala Lumpur director Mohd Sabri Seman said the two premises had been issued closure notices by other authorities in January.

"The case is being investigated under the Trade Descriptions Act 2011, Section 21 of the Control of Supplies Act 1961, and Regulation 3(1) of the Control of Supplies Regulations 1974," he told reporters here.

He further disclosed that the slaughterhouses, which operate from 8pm to 3am, employed foreign workers who were also involved in the slaughtering process.

He said 26 foreign workers, from India and Bangladesh, were handed over to the Immigration Department for further action.

Mohd Sabri said both premises would also be investigated by Jakim for violations of provisions under the Trade Descriptions (Certification and Marking of 'Halal') Order 2011.

Meanwhile, he said the Home Ministry, in collaboration with Jakim, had carried out inspections at 11 hotel premises in the federal capital since March 2 to ensure compliance with the provision of halal food. - Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Selangor Sultan urges state govt to continue prioritising people's well-being
Illegal gold mining threatens lives, environment, says Kelantan MB
Smart campus tech framework to drive UKKM development, says Sim
Kota Baru man found dead in bathroom
GSF 2.0: All 428 activists released, Malaysians expected home on May 24
Royal decree should be viewed as guidance, not political interference, says Tengku Zafrul
Man found dead in pool of blood outside Pekan Nenas restaurant
Federal Highway motorcycle lane upgrade to be done in August
Gold mining tragedy in Jeli leaves pregnant mother of four widowed
Jakoa denies restricting entry of outsiders into Orang Asli villages

Others Also Read