Sabah Water Dept withdraws controversial notice


KOTA KINABALU: The Sabah Water Department has withdrawn its controversial notice that indicated a crackdown on consumers who install water pumps that breach guidelines.

Deputy Chief Minister III Datuk Shahelmey Yahya (pic), who is also state Works Minister, said the department had withdrawn the March 3 notice and that it was not meant to be an enforcement exercise against consumers.

Speaking to reporters at the launch of bitumen and asphalt products at Kota Kinabalu Industrial Park (KKIP) near here on Friday (March 7), Shahelmey said the notice was more to create awareness among consumers.

Under the department guidelines, no water pump can be installed after the registered meter at a premises.

ALSO READ: Don't panic over March 3 water pump notice, Sabah DCM III tells public

The use of pumps fitted after the meter is common across the state, especially among consumers in highrise commercial and residential areas affected by low water pressure.

Under the state water regulations, offenders could face fines of up to RM50,000 or imprisonment.

Shahelmey said installing a pump after the meter could affect overall water distribution pressure in the area concerned and trigger issues such as contamination caused by burst pipes.

Consumers and political parties protested after the notice was issued, with most urging the Water Department to improve the water supply before taking action against consumers.

Asked if the government was planning to proceed with the controversial Papar Dam project, Shahelmey said it had been put on hold for other water-related projects.

These included the second phase of the Telibong plant and the Kasigui Urgent Water Supply Scheme to help meet the water needs of northern Kota Kinabalu and Putatan, he added.

Other projects aimed at addressing consumer demand are the Ulu Padas Dam in Sipitang, the Tawau Dam and the tube wells project in Sandakan.

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Madani govt component parties must strengthen cohesion to realise people's mandate, says Zaliha
US tariff ruling lifts market sentiment, positive for M'sian markets, say economists
Amanah looks at contesting 20 seats in Johor polls, subject to talks within PH, says state party chief
Fire razes 10 houses in Kota Belud, families moved to relief centre
DAP members, leaders must respect outcome of special congress, says Chow
Ramanan lauds SJKT Ladang Kinrara's success at international youth STEM event
Man nabbed while trying to steal railway cables between Kempas Baru, Kulai
Tengku Panglima Perang Pahang visits family of late Trooper Indiran
Govt has improved Armed Forces procurement procedures, says Defence Minister
Beware fake MACC article on scam site posing as The Star

Others Also Read