Year Four pupil critical after choking on gummy candy


GEORGE TOWN: A Year Four pupil is in critical condition at the Paediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) of the Penang Hospital (HPP) after choking on a "gummy" candy he bought outside the school area on Tuesday (Feb 18).

Mohammad Fahmi Hafiz Mohammad Fakhruddin, 10, a pupil at SK Sungai Dua in Butterworth is believed to have bought two gummy candies from a stall before the 2.30pm Quran and Fardhu Ain (KAFA) class yesterday.

Siti Farhani Muhammad Fikri, 33, said her nephew is said to have choked on the candy while chewing it and experienced difficulty breathing, adding that he managed to walk towards his teacher before suddenly collapsing.

She said she was told that a teacher tried to help by patting his back and calling for an ambulance.

When the medical team arrived, they immediately began administering cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR).

"We were informed that the candy got stuck in Mohammad Fahmi's throat, but his condition was already critical, and his face had turned blue due to a lack of oxygen.

"He was taken to hospital and is being treated at the PICU. His condition remains critical and the doctors are closely monitoring his progress," she said when contacted Wednesday (Feb 19).

Siti Farhani said doctors informed her that Mohammad Fahmi's brain had been affected due to prolonged oxygen deprivation, adding that the doctors would continue to monitor his condition until Friday (Feb 21) before making any further decisions regarding the eldest of two siblings. - Bernama

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Pupil , Gummy , Candy , Choke , HPP

Next In Nation

JPJ to intensify drone use to detect traffic offences over Aidiladha period
PM Anwar holds phone call with Tamil Nadu chief minister Vijay
Onn Hafiz says he was target of sophisticated 'mercenary spyware' attack
Teacher detained to assist probe into sexual assault of schoolboy in Mersing
Debt collector pleads guilty to sexual assault, wrongful confinement and robbery
GSF 2.0: Released Malaysians safe in Istanbul, expected home on Sunday
Reform task force recommends using local firms to advise govt, digitalise more services�
PAS issues gag order on members over party ties issue
Bersama to contest in Pakatan, BN and Perikatan strongholds, says Nik Nazmi
MACC to appeal Singapore dismissal of RM548mil asset restraining order

Others Also Read